MakeMKV General Question

Everything related to MakeMKV
dnelms

MakeMKV General Question

Post by dnelms »

I've used MakeMKV for my DVD's and have no problem with the playback on my WDTV. I'm now trying to get them to play on another player but need to know some info on what is being created by MakeMKV. If I have a standard DVD and it creates the MKV file, is that file by default ripped to MP2 format in the MKV container? The player only supports (right now) MKV files that use content in h.264, but is going to add MP2/MP3 support.
crowfax

Re: MakeMKV General Question

Post by crowfax »

MakeMKV always rips in the format of the disc, it makes no changes to the video stream.

DVD's will always be MPEG2
Blu-Ray will be either: h.264/avc OR VC-1 OR MPEG2

You can use Handbrake to convert your collection of MKV's containing MPEG2 to MKV's containing h.264. It may take a while depending on your CPU speed.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
dnelms

Re: MakeMKV General Question

Post by dnelms »

crowfax wrote:MakeMKV always rips in the format of the disc, it makes no changes to the video stream.

DVD's will always be MPEG2
Blu-Ray will be either: h.264/avc OR VC-1 OR MPEG2

You can use Handbrake to convert your collection of MKV's containing MPEG2 to MKV's containing h.264. It may take a while depending on your CPU speed.
Thanks... that was exactly what I thought. It's not worth the time to convert in Handbrake as these already work on the WDTV, just have to wait for a firmware update on the other device I want it to work on. (I do know it is coming, just have to be paitent)