Protected .mkv

Everything related to MakeMKV
fulwell_mag

Protected .mkv

Post by fulwell_mag »

Hello im new to ripping Bluray and have now become slightly obsessed with doing it! Im after some help. MakeMKV is a fantastic product I have to say and can rip my bluray to a full size .mkv file. The problem I have, when I try to open this ripped .mkv with handbreak of ripbot264 it reports it as protected! I want to run these software to change the audio codec and get the overall size down to a manageable size.

Now I believe MakeMKV should remove this protection, am I right in thinking this? Im currently trialling the software, im looking at AnyDVD if this cant do it but I would like to keep using MakeMKV if I can. The protection on said Bluray is AACv4. I can however copy my copy of Wall-E fine, handbreak opens it fine and gets the file down to 2.2GB from 20GB!

Please help!
fulwell_mag

Re: Protected .mkv

Post by fulwell_mag »

Apologies, ignore this I have read through the tutorials. Being a male I don’t usually read tutorials first! I believe I need to make a backup first then convert to .mkv, thanks for anyone that has looked at this
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
I believe I need to make a backup first then convert to .mkv
No, this is not correct.

If you use MakeMKV DIRECTLY (No other programs like DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVD running in either foreground or background) with your original, commercial Blu-ray disc as your source, MakeMKV should produce unprotected, decrypted .MKV files...

fulwell_mag

Post by fulwell_mag »

Thanks for the reply,

I must be doing something wrong then...

I run the makemkv to rip straight to .mkv, this plays on my PC but it wont open with handbreak of ripbot264, any ideas? The error within handbreak says the media is protected. If I use my bluray of Wall-E this process works fine. If I use my bluray of Dark Knight and Expendables it doesnt work, any ideas? Could you advise on any other software to use after makemkv to reduce size of the file and change audio codec?

Thanks
skittle

Post by skittle »

That doesnt make any sense :| you are doing something wrong somewhere in your tool chain. Both handbrake and ripbot should be able to open them with no problems. I can say first hand that "The Dark Knight" and countless others work just fine.

Perhaps it is a folder permission problem?
fulwell_mag

Post by fulwell_mag »

I must have a setting wrong somewhere with MakeMKV. If I backup the disk and decrypt it that way, handbreak and ripbot264 can open it fine. If I rip disk to mkv then open handbreak or ripbot254 it reports it as protected. Its not a issue just I would have like to rip it striaght to mkv although it doesnt really matter, the backup option works just fine.

Thanks for the help