BD scratched surface / ignore read errors?

Everything related to MakeMKV
beta-tester

BD scratched surface / ignore read errors?

Post by beta-tester »

hi,
i have a BD disc with a bad scratch on its surface.
is it possible to create a mkv file from only the good sectors that could be read and ignore the bad sectors under neat the scratch?
to me, it doesn't matter, when the resulting video has cut out those broken parts...
i mean it is better having an inperfect copy than having absolute nothing.

at the moment MakeMKV completely stops immediately (and deletes the resulting file), when it reaches the position with the scratch and does not try to skip over broken sectors...
or is there an option to enable creating an "inperfect" video copy?
(resulting mkv file where its video/audio has cut out the bad sector parts)

i tried to use ddrescue to copy as much as possible from the scratched BR and let MakeMKV trying to take that as source instead the physical media...
but even then MakeMKV fails with errors because of defects in the middle of the TS stream at the offset, where the scratches were and the iso was filled with zeros or random data...
MakeMKV does not skip those errors to the next position where the TS stream contains good data again.
Woodstock

Re: BD scratched surface / ignore read errors?

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV is not going to do it, by itself. It will stop when it finds the inconsistent parts.

There are examples of people using other tools to try to construct a "whole" ISO by repeatedly trying to copy the disk until a correct read is made, then having MakeMKV rip that. Sometimes they use multiple disks with different defects to create one working ISO.