Confused about mkvs with hd audio

Everything related to MakeMKV
VistaVick

Confused about mkvs with hd audio

Post by VistaVick »

Everything I have read suggests that the latest versions of makemkv preserve hd audio tracks and produce mkvs with dts-hd or dolby true hd. And I don't see any options in the program to do otherwise.

However, I have made backups of several retail bluray discs recently, most with dts-hd audio tracks, and none of the mkvs appear to have the hd audio tracks, they just play as dts.

But I am setup to play mkvs with hd audio. Following a nice guide, I am able with media player classic 64 bit to play m2ts files with hd audio tracks and it works great. I wanted some .mkv files to try. As an experiment, although it takes much longer, instead of using makemkv, I used tsMuxer to demux the DTS-HD track from one m2ts bluray file from a bluray disc, I used RipBot to convert the m2ts file to mkv without an audio track, and after RipBot did its thing I took the mkv RipBot made and muxed it with the DTS-HD audio track using mkvmerge GUI.

The result was a mkv file that played with dts-hd audio in media player classic. Unlike the mkv file makemkv made. The mediainfo program shows a dts-hd audio track in sheet view for the file I muxed, while it just shows dts for the file makemkv made.

Any idea why I am seeing these differences?

Not sure if it matters, but I am using windows 7 64 bit with ati 5700, and ffdshow audio and video codecs with mpcs internal splitter. I also have no problem bitstreaming dolby true hd or dts-hd from bluray discs to my onkyo receiver using PowerDVD.
VistaVick

Re: Confused about mkvs with hd audio

Post by VistaVick »

Nevermind, I was forgetting to open the tree file options on the individual files, and the hd audio was not selected as default.
setarip_old

Re: Confused about mkvs with hd audio

Post by setarip_old »

Glad to hear that, in fact, MakeMKV successfully generates .MKVs with HD audio for you ;>}