cannot see drive if connected over Remote Desktop

Everything related to MakeMKV
dvdluvver73

cannot see drive if connected over Remote Desktop

Post by dvdluvver73 »

I have a couple of dedicated PC's for ripping my discs. For some reason, when I use MakeMKV, it cannot recognize my Blu-Ray drive or disc when I'm connected over Remote Desktop. Anyone have any idea why, or what I might do about it?
mike admin

Re: cannot see drive if connected over Remote Desktop

Post by mike admin »

The drive is attached to the target PC you're connecting? Are you administrator?
dvdluvver73

Post by dvdluvver73 »

Yes, I am the administrator for all my machines which I RDP into. The optical drive is physically in the computer (Drive E). I can see it from Windows explorer, AnyDVD can see the disc, etc., but MakeMKV says that there are no optical discs present. Isn't that wierd? (btw, I've tried it with and w/o anydvd running, I know that program doesn't make nice). It all works fine if I am at the console.
dvdluvver73

Post by dvdluvver73 »

Tried this on a completely different machine (the one I've been using to rip DVD's for over a year now - I have a large collection). Same thing. If I'm connected over RDP, MakeMKV cannot find the optical drive.

Bizarre.
bartman

Post by bartman »

Same issue here with RDC. My TV is 1080i (CRT RPTV), so doing heavy work from the couch (ripping/tagging/etc) is difficult on the eyes (not counting the fuzziness around the edges where the convergence starts to fall off). Every other tool I have used works fine over RDC, but MakeMKV can't find the drives (either the physical drive or mounted .iso files) when running over remote desktop.
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

I rip 90+% of my movies over RDP as my bluray drive is in the HTPC in the media room and I don't want to fire up the projector. Never a problem. Just to be clear, MakeMKV is loaded on the HTPC and I start the process over RDP by clicking on the MakeMKV program on the remote computer. It automatically starts the process.

I would check if you can see the bluray drive through explorer by RDP. If Windows (I am assuming you are on Windows, not Linux) can't see the drive, there is something amise with the system. I do have mine as a share, but I did that much later to try out the streaming feature of MakeMKV. "Sharing" the drive isn't necessary.

I've also done the same thing with UltraVNC and tightVNC. All work just fine. I have both Windows XP and 7. No issues with either OS
dtblair

Post by dtblair »

bartman wrote:Same issue here with RDC. My TV is 1080i (CRT RPTV), so doing heavy work from the couch (ripping/tagging/etc) is difficult on the eyes (not counting the fuzziness around the edges where the convergence starts to fall off). Every other tool I have used works fine over RDC, but MakeMKV can't find the drives (either the physical drive or mounted .iso files) when running over remote desktop.
What operating system are you on? The fact the you can't locate the .iso files sounds more like a permission or security problem. They should not be hidden unless there is a "rights" issue to the folder or drive.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Do you see your drives if you connect with "/console" option (or "-0" on linux) ?
bartman

Post by bartman »

Connecting from OSX. With current RDC, the /console switch has been deprecated. Used 'tscon 0' - but no difference in MKV behavior - 'The program can't find any usable optical drives'. Enabled AnyDVD and it sees both the physical and virtual drives.

OS on the HTPC is Windows 7 x64 - it is not that it can't see .iso files - it mounts them just fine and AnyDVD is able to rip from either the mounted iso or the physicial drive. MakeMKV doesn't even see that an optical drive exists.

Edit - Just tried the connection from a windows based machine and same issue occurs.
MakeMKV 1.6.5 x64 running on Windows 7 x64 if that makes any difference.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

bartman wrote:OS on the HTPC is Windows 7 x64 - it is not that it can't see .iso files - it mounts them just fine and AnyDVD is able to rip from either the mounted iso or the physicial drive. MakeMKV doesn't even see that an optical drive exists.
What he was saying, that MakeMKV can open ISO file directly, from file menu - no need to mount it in virtual drive. As for original problem, we're investigating.
mesasone

Post by mesasone »

Same issue here - MakeMKV works fine directly from the machine, but it can not detect the optical drive when using RDP. The drive does show up in explorer.
bartman

Post by bartman »

A workaround for this until it is addressed: I can rip the disc to .iso using AnyDVD (having AnyDVD remove the decryption) over remote desktop and then open the created .iso file in MakeMKV. If I leave the encryption in place, MakeMKV can't rip the .iso over RDC.
prgonjo

Post by prgonjo »

Open the properties of the mkv shortcut. Go to advanced. Check run as administrator and apply. Should see the drive.
thanatos2k

Post by thanatos2k »

Hi All,

Sorry to revive an old thread and apologies if this question is answered elsewhere.

I'm a new MakeMKV user and ran into this problem myself. By default, windows won't let you access removable drives directly over Remote Desktop.

This is the fix procedure from Microsoft; it's geared towards burning a CD/DVD but we're doing the same thing (accessing the device directly) so those are the permissions we need. Follow the top half of the article to change the relevant group policy setting:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... connection
stevenh

Post by stevenh »

prgonjo wrote:Open the properties of the mkv shortcut. Go to advanced. Check run as administrator and apply. Should see the drive.
This fixed it for me thanks :)