How to: recompress mkv made with MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
estugarda

How to: recompress mkv made with MakeMKV

Post by estugarda »

There is a possibility that I already asked about this here before. I can't find the inquiry, nor the answer so I'll ask again.
I made a MKV container of my DVD with MakeMKV. I got an MKV file with the file structure exactly as I wanted (chapters, subtitles, audio, video). Now I would like to compress the video track , and maybe the audio tracks in this same MKV, but keep the MKV file structure that I got with MakeMKV. This would have been easy if VirtualDub/Mod could work good with MKV, but it can't.

What I want to know:
What is the best/easiest way to compress video/audio inside MKV made with MakeMKV?

Thanks.
jplayerspesial

Re: How to: recompress mkv made with MakeMKV

Post by jplayerspesial »

Hi! I've been searching around for a long time for the most easy way to rip and compress bluray into mkv-files with reasonable sizes. So far I've used AnyDvd for ripping, tsMuxer for demux, mkvMerge for muxing into mkv and MediaCoder for decompressing the mkv-file even moore.(MediaCoder is sometimes difficult to use). But of course, this is a lot of work. When I tried MakeMkv I found that it works fine with dvd's, but not with bluray. The mkv-file plays choppy and with audio/video-sync problems. I have to confess that I have only tried to rip bluray with MakeMkv two times, with the film Vacancy and the latest X-files film. MakeMkv couldn't do anything with the X-files (the program just hangs), and Vacancy plays very choppy and with lots of sync problems. I will try to rip more bluray's with MakeMkv when I get some other/new films. I have also found that bluray discs are very different. One disc you can rip and compress without problems, but another will not.
My tip for recompressing mkv-files is to use MediaCoder(free). But you may have to also use tsMuxer (free), because it's not certain that MediaCoder will recognize the mkv-file that MakeMkv produces. So you have to convert the mkv-file to a .ts-file with tsMuxer. This will not affect the quality of the film. And then you can import the .ts-file into MediaCoder and convert to h.264 and Matroska (mkv). MediaCoder gives you full control over audio and video, so if you're not a video/audio-wiz you probarbly have to try a number of times before you get it right.
machser

Post by machser »

hey jps,

i'm wondering, when re-encoding a mkv (made by MakeMKV from DVD) in MediaCoder, if MC leaves all the meta-data included into the new mkv and just re-encodes the video to a smaller file-size?

buy
Marc
digitalghost1

Post by digitalghost1 »

Use Handbrake. I did the same, created an mkv file from a Blue-Ray disk (25GB file) then I use Handbrake to get it smaller.
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

jplayerspesial wrote:... When I tried MakeMkv I found that it works fine with dvd's, but not with bluray. The mkv-file plays choppy and with audio/video-sync problems. I have to confess that I have only tried to rip bluray with MakeMkv two times, with the film Vacancy and the latest X-files film. MakeMkv couldn't do anything with the X-files (the program just hangs), and Vacancy plays very choppy and with lots of sync problems. I will try to rip more bluray's with MakeMkv when I get some other/new films....
I've ripped something like 50-60 BD discs with MakeMKV, and it only had trouble with two of them. Both problems are now fixed, I believe. I have no problems with choppy video or audio sync. Some content is tougher to play, such as the 1080i VC1-encoded Torchwood Children of the Earth (I decided just to use the BD player software PowerDVD). Also note the W7 VC1 decoder in windows media foundation is broken in that it doesn't use hardware accelleration (I switched to the MPC-HC codec for VC1).

MakeMKV is a great tool. I should note that I run AnyDVDHD in the background, so decrypting the disks is done before MakeMKV gets them.

Marc
johnpeterson1982

Post by johnpeterson1982 »

why u want to recompress mkv , which one you made with makemkv :?:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

watch vampire diaries online | thailand budget hotels | san miguel hotels
Last edited by johnpeterson1982 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spook

Post by Spook »

I have a few reasons to re-encode..

First, Some if not most of these Bluray rips are HUGE... Leading to only maybe 50 or so movies on a Teribyte drive, compressing can raise that number to 80 or so

2nd, because the rips are so big, they can unwieldy, copying, and playing. An uncompressed movie can take a long time to resync after moving to a new position in the video. and at 30g, they can take a long time to copy from one computer to another.

3rd some of the original video formats, ie VC1, or Audio formats, DTS can't be played by every player.... me personally I use a media extender than can't play either of these formats natively.

Spook