Can I rip a BlueRay DVD with a non BlueRay device?

Everything related to MakeMKV
yogus_bearus

Can I rip a BlueRay DVD with a non BlueRay device?

Post by yogus_bearus »

I know this must be a stupid question and I think I know the answer, but can anyone help? I just bought a 27" imac and the drive is not a BlueRay Drive. Is there some software or way around this? Am I just missing something here? I thought since I'm just looking for the data from the disc it could work. Any thoughts? Do I need an aftermarket drive? If so, what do I buy?
setarip_old

Re: Can I rip a BlueRay DVD with a non BlueRay device?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Unfortunately, no - Not any more than you can read a DVD with a CD drive...

tony55

Post by tony55 »

Just a short note to add to setarips comment.

The minimum you would need would be a Bluray ROM device which reads but does not write to Bluray disks.
With such a device you would ,using MakeMKV, be able to copy a Bluray disk to your hard disk and play it from your computer or use a streaming device to play it on your tv. With the proper software you would also be able to reduce the Bluray on your hard disk down to fit on a DVD disk.

Most Bluray ROM devices also have the ability to read and write to DVD disks.

Tony
elmo7

Post by elmo7 »

Unfortunately Apple has chosen not to offer Bluray support on their products; Jobs says it's a "big back of hurt." :x So don't look to Apple for BD devices - you'll want to search for 3rd party external drives.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

tony55 wrote:The minimum you would need would be a Bluray ROM device which reads but does not write to Bluray disks.
This is no longer required if your OS is 10.5 or later. But keep in mind that some drives do not work well with OS X. Check the Mac OS X sub-forum, members have posted some recommendations there.