Drive Speeds Appear Slow

Everything related to MakeMKV
Nick P

Drive Speeds Appear Slow

Post by Nick P »

I have an LG UH08LS10K Blu Ray Drive Reader (and DVD writer, etc) and in MakeMKV 1.5.6, I have never seen my Read Rate go above 3.1X (~13M/s) which seems lows given that this drive is capable of 8.0X sustained read.

Is this an error in my understanding of read speeds, of the drive specifications, or in MakeMKV?

I am using the generic Windows 7 (x64) drivers instead of the drivers that came on the CD from LG, if it matters.

Thanks and great software!
setarip_old

Re: Drive Speeds Appear Slow

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

One reason certainly must be that MKV is no JUST reading the disc - it is concurrently interpreting, sorting, and merging (BluRay) files/titles and creating an .MKV package...

MilesAhead

Re: Drive Speeds Appear Slow

Post by MilesAhead »

Since the main movie is usually the largest file, sometimes it is smoother to just back up the whole disc using the backup function. Then use that backup folder as the source for MakeMKV. Esp. if you have more than one HD and can read from one HD while writing to another. Then when MakeMKV is extracting selected tracks from the HD it's not waiting for the optical drive to serve up the files. It just flies through it. The total time could be a bit longer, but the time the disc is in the optical drive should usually be shorter.

I haven't timed the backups but I've been doing it that way the last 1/2 dozen runs and backup seems faster than extraction of selected tracks. This also allows me the option to skip .mkv creation and use the disc folder structure directly if that's convenient to the task.