Unintended multiple videos in one MKV file

Everything related to MakeMKV
edison

Unintended multiple videos in one MKV file

Post by edison »

I just discovered something odd about some of my MKV files. I will explain the best I can.

I have a folder /DVDs in which I have archived many movies in .VOB format in folders of the same name as the movie title. ie. /DVDs/"movie_title"/VIDEO_TS/*.BUP, *.IFO, *.VOB.

I also have a folder called BluRay under DVDs. ie /DVDs/BluRay. This is where I archive my BluRays to .MKV format in folders and files of the same name as the movie title. ie. /DVDs/BluRay/"movie_title"/"movie_title.mkv".

I have discovered 10 "BluRay_movie_title.MKV" titles that have multiple movies (3-4) from the /DVDs folder all in one .MKV file. There is also no trace of the BluRay movie I was originally trying to archive among the 3-4 movies in the .MKV file. Also the movies inside the MKV file are somewhat jumbled when played.

The /DVDs movies and files (.vob) are still in tact and work fine.

Does anyone know HOW or WHY this happened?
The BluRay MKV file is probably unrecoverable but I would like an explanation if anybody has one.

If further discription is needed please let me know.
Thanks
Woodstock

Re: Unintended multiple videos in one MKV file

Post by Woodstock »

Without logs of the rip, it is impossible to say what may have happened, or even if MakeMKV was involved.... since MakeMKV does not save to .VOB files.
edison

Post by edison »

Woodstock wrote:Without logs of the rip, it is impossible to say what may have happened, or even if MakeMKV was involved.... since MakeMKV does not save to .VOB files.
Thanks Woodstock.
The .vob files were not created with MakeMKV. The .vob files already existed. MakeMKV created a .mkv file from multiple .vob files, somehow on it's own, while I was archiving a single movie from a BluRay disk.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Which is where confusion comes in - VOB files are DVD-only, and BD uses transport stream files (m2ts) and play lists.

I think you can use mkvmerge to read multiple VOBs and make an MKV file, but I don't see that option in MakeMKV. Maybe Mike can set me straight...