ddrescue type mode

Everything related to MakeMKV
thetoad

ddrescue type mode

Post by thetoad »

So I've recently come across some blurays that I have problems ripping because the discs are damaged in some way. This is a common problem on this forum, but sometimes there is nothing one can do about.

This is also a common problem for DVDs. With DVDs I have an "easy" workaround as CSS is easily breakable. I make an iso using ddrescue. This will read all that is possible to read and skip the bad sectors. I can then get a different disc and fill in the gaps. I can then decrypt the CSS scrambled sectors (even in place).

It be nice if there would be a way to make BR backups using a similar methodology with MakeMKV.

I'm making an assumptions that the m2ts files are decryptable in place (i.e. an X Byte encrypted m2ts file results in an X Byte decrypted m2ts file (like what happens with DVDs)

Another possible solution would be to create an encrypted iso image outside of MakeMKV using ddrescue with multiple copies of the same bluray disc to get a complete ISO and then have makemkv decrypt it (possibly with access to a real disc in the drive to enable generation of the proper keys).

this could help us who have damaged discs that can't be directly backed up.

thoughts?