Can't create Full SBS 3D mkv from my BluRay Avatar

Everything related to MakeMKV
wazooda

Can't create Full SBS 3D mkv from my BluRay Avatar

Post by wazooda »

I ran the disc through MakeMKV, and it created two files (one 40gig on about 22gig) that are each 1080p with no SBS.

I have a new passive LG 4k 3D TV that I would like to stream a Full SBS version to.

What settings do I need or process to I need to use to rip Full SBS?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks!
SiliconKid

Re: Can't create Full SBS 3D mkv from my BluRay Avatar

Post by SiliconKid »

Hi

You cannot rip to SBS.

MakeMKV does not re-encode video, it simply rips what's on the disk into an MKV file for you.

When it comes to 3D BluRay, there are actually 2 video streams on the disc, one for each eye.

MakeMKV can either rip those 2 video streams into one MKV file, which we then refer to as a "MVC MKV", or it can rip those 2 different video streams into 2 separate MKV files, if I'm not mistaken.

To produce a single MKV file that contains SBS 3D video (or HSBS, or HTAB etc), you will need to take the output from MakeMVC and use it as input for an encoding application that is capable of converting MVC 3D (2 video streams) into SBS, TAB etc. 3D (1 video stream, frames packed side by side or above and below one another).

The conversion from MVC to the other formats requires a full re-encode of the video because the frames need to be compressed and manipulated and every 2 frames have to be packed into a single frame.

MakeMKV does not encode video or transcode video, it simply extracts the audio and video from the BluRay disc file structure and packages inside an MKV container for you.
wazooda

Re: Can't create Full SBS 3D mkv from my BluRay Avatar

Post by wazooda »

SiliconKid wrote:Hi

You cannot rip to SBS.

MakeMKV does not re-encode video, it simply rips what's on the disk into an MKV file for you.

When it comes to 3D BluRay, there are actually 2 video streams on the disc, one for each eye.

MakeMKV can either rip those 2 video streams into one MKV file, which we then refer to as a "MVC MKV", or it can rip those 2 different video streams into 2 separate MKV files, if I'm not mistaken.

To produce a single MKV file that contains SBS 3D video (or HSBS, or HTAB etc), you will need to take the output from MakeMVC and use it as input for an encoding application that is capable of converting MVC 3D (2 video streams) into SBS, TAB etc. 3D (1 video stream, frames packed side by side or above and below one another).

The conversion from MVC to the other formats requires a full re-encode of the video because the frames need to be compressed and manipulated and every 2 frames have to be packed into a single frame.

MakeMKV does not encode video or transcode video, it simply extracts the audio and video from the BluRay disc file structure and packages inside an MKV container for you.
TREMENDOUSLY helpful reply.

Thanks!!