Hardware encoder

Everything related to MakeMKV
Pompone

Hardware encoder

Post by Pompone »

Hello

Is there a hardware encoder that would work well with M-MKV ? It takes more that 10 hours on my iMac to encode a BD into Apple TV 3 format :-((

Thanks
P
Woodstock

Re: Hardware encoder

Post by Woodstock »

I don't know of any that work in conjunction with the Mac, but... You MIGHT be able to get access to the QuickSync Video (QSV) hardware on your Mac, if you have it, by booting Windows on it. It isn't supported under OS X (Intel hasn't released an application interface for it in OS X), but it is blazing fast when it works.

It does, however, get its speed by not being particularly GOOD at encoding. I tried it using handbrake (handbrake.fr for more information), and, while it will go through a BD rip at about 4-5x speed, and get close to 300 frames per second on DVD video, the files are always 10-15% larger than if I use the software x264 encoder in handbrake, and the video quality is somewhat lower. I disabled it and use the software encoder.

What software encoder are you using now?
electronicsguy

Post by electronicsguy »

Woodstock wrote:I don't know of any that work in conjunction with the Mac, but... You MIGHT be able to get access to the QuickSync Video (QSV) hardware on your Mac, if you have it, by booting Windows on it. It isn't supported under OS X (Intel hasn't released an application interface for it in OS X), but it is blazing fast when it works.

It does, however, get its speed by not being particularly GOOD at encoding. I tried it using handbrake (handbrake.fr for more information), and, while it will go through a BD rip at about 4-5x speed, and get close to 300 frames per second on DVD video, the files are always 10-15% larger than if I use the software x264 encoder in handbrake, and the video quality is somewhat lower. I disabled it and use the software encoder.

What software encoder are you using now?
it seems the quicksync api has been made available by apple: http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... ync-on-osx

is that not correct?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If Apple has made the QSV API available, then it would probably be a good time to bring that up to the handbrake developers, since they've said the limitation on QSV on OS X was that Intel did not provide an OS X version of their API.

It could be that Apple's version doesn't use the same calls, but I wouldn't know that.

Edited to add: The link you provided is to a complaint and some explanations about no OS X version of the QSV API....