Bluray Forced Subtitle

Everything related to MakeMKV
elphilo

Bluray Forced Subtitle

Post by elphilo »

Hey all I just started using this program and have been loving the ease of it to make MKVs from my blurays.

Now I've run into a bit of trouble with a movie I'm trying to rip (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock). I can't seem to get the forced subtitles to work.

I've tried googling this and searching on this board but I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks all for your help!
Marc_G

Re: Bluray Forced Subtitle

Post by Marc_G »

What player are you using to play the movie with forced subtitles? W7MC doesn't natively support them. It's annoying. And is your disc a DVD or BD?

There are a variety of solutions. Generally, I use Media Player Clasic Home Cinema (MPC-HC, from a recent nightly build) to play mkvs that have forced subtitles. If the original disc is a BD, you'll need to convert the subtitles from the "PGS" format they are in to the IDX/SUP format that DVDs use; most players won't play mkvs with PGS subtitles. There are some threads on the board here about how the conversion can be done or different ripping methods to handle it.

Marc
dom61

Post by dom61 »

I wonder why in the mkv file playback are not activated forced subtitles, ripping the blu-ray (Van Helsing) are present and MakeMKV selects all but the playback is not activated.

Any solution to the problem?

Thanks
Zidoo Z9X | HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro | ZDMC 20.1 | Remote WeChip | Splitter HDMI HDFury AVR-KEY | Display LG 65B6V | Audio processor Yamaha RX-V775 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Storage Qnap Ts-431K +TL-D800C
My PC Ryzen 7950X
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

If you mean, why doesn W7MC play back forced subs, I discussed the matter here:

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permal ... ux-no-fuss

But here on the MakeMKV board you can find several discussions on it along with a variety of solutions basically to the effect of converting the PGS (forced) subtitles from BD to the type of subs used on DVDs which more players can handle.

Marc