Improve Audio

Everything related to MakeMKV
Mk2548

Improve Audio

Post by Mk2548 »

I just tried MakeMKV and it's so easy. The only problem that I had was with the audio, which was low. Is there a way to improve the audio sound when it's converting?
setarip_old

Re: Improve Audio

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

To the best of my knowledge, MakeMKV does nothing that should affect the volume level(s).

It's possible that your system (either your PCX or sound system) may be converting (format, e.g. DTS to PCM stereo) and down-converting (e.g. from 7.1to 2.0 or from 96 bit to 24 bit) a particular audio format that it's not capable of outputting...
Mk2548

Post by Mk2548 »

I don't think so because i also copied the dvd into an avi file and the audio was higher. I even copied the dvd into an ISO and the audio level was the same as the mkv.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Now you've gotten me confused. You say:
I even copied the dvd into an ISO and the audio level was the same as the mkv.
If (without the involvement of MakeMKV) you created an .ISO image file DIRECTLY from the DVD and the audio level was the same as the MakeMKV .MKV, how could MakeMKV be involved in the lower volume.

On the other hand, when you created the .AVI, was the original (usually) .AC3 audiostream used or, as is frequently done to conserve space, was it converted to the much louder .MP3 format?
Mk2548

Post by Mk2548 »

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. What I did was the following:

1. I ripped my dvd using Makemkv
2. I compared the mkv file to an avi file of the same movie (I ripped this from the same dvd using another program) and realized that the avi audio was higher than the mkv.
3. I decided to rip the same dvd into ISO (using another program for comparing the audio only) and I found out that the audio level was the same as the mkv.

All I want to know is, can I improve the sound (in other words make it louder). The sound was pretty low compared to the avi file. Yes, on the avi file.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I believe you can accomplish this with "eac3to"...
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

DVD audio streams contain a volume level, most DVDs have there volume level set to be negative. AVI(s) along with most other formats do not store this kind of info. So there sound will can louder, quieter, or the same as a DVD or other file that does have this info. Then on top of that it's up to the player weather or not it wants to honor such settings. In the case of mplayer and VLC, I beleave can both ignore the volume level of DVD and such.

But this can all be fixed in a few different ways.

1. if you (or your player) use ffdshow for the audio stream. You should see post : http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... =910#p4504
2. Look at the mkv file with a media info program ( I use http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en ). See that the default gain is, then run it thought eac3to with the option of "+3dB". Replacing the number 3 with the number found in the media info program. OR you could simply run the MKv though eac3to once just to get the info about the streams 1st, then rerun it with the correct +3dB" settging.

Example to get info using eac3to:

Code: Select all

eac3to VTS_01_1.VOB
VOB, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 1 subtitle track, 1:49:29
1: MPEG2, 480i60 /1.001 (16:9)
2: AC3, 5.1 channels, 448kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
3: Subtitle (SRT)
Example of voume gain added/fixed:

Code: Select all

eac3to VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_01_1.MKV +27dB 
Now remux all output file into a mew MKV.

3. Same as number two, but using another 3rd party software. Simply demux the audio streams, and run them though any number of programs to add gain.
VirtualDub
Normalizer or (Pers-o-FrontEnd 4 Normalize or NormalizeGUI)
AVIUtl
Avidemux
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

@ NomadCF
Cool info. Thanks for the detailed post.
miklos

Post by miklos »

Mk2548 what program did you use to create the avi file? I'm looking for a good one...