Different problems with BD390!!!

Everything related to MakeMKV
andyparksy

Different problems with BD390!!!

Post by andyparksy »

Hi guys

I know there have been a few other posts about compatability with the LG BD390 but I think mine is a lot more simple (=a lot more confusing for a novice like me).

Quite simply I am using MakeMKV to do a straight rip from DVDs (so no vc1 issues - I think) and so would have thought it would have been a straight MPeg2 / AC3 file within the MKV but for some reason I cannot get the BD390 to play ANY of the files created with MakeMKV. Have tested with other MKV files and they were fine but when I play the created ones I get a "Video codec not supported" message.

MediaInfo describes the files as:
5 136 Kbps (7 500 Kbps), 720*576 (16:9), at 25.000 fps, MPEG Video (PAL) (Version 2) (Main@Main) (BVOP)

I understand Putting it inot MKV should not effect the encoding, but obviously the player can play the original disk, and can play MKVs, just not the original disk after it has been put into an MKV by Make MKV

Hope this makes sense - can't believe I have managed to find fault in something so simple! :lol:

Many thanks in advance for any help you can be as well

Cheers
setarip_old

Re: Different problems with BD390!!!

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
What part of the world are you in?
Does the LG BD390 play the ORIGINAL DVD from which you made the problematic MKV?
andyparksy

Post by andyparksy »

Hi there

Yes, no problems playing the DVD itself, and this is the same accross all (50+) of the MKVs I have created with MakeMKV

I should say as a further point I tried the files out in Windows media player (again, it could play other MKVs), they didn't work there either until I installed a codec pack (CCCP), then worked fine on the PC, but obviously not an option to install this on the BD390.

I am really not sure why a different codec would be needed to play a straightforward DVD MPEG2 rip which is why I am wondering if the files I am creating are not that striaghtforward!!! But if MakeMKV is really not touching the coding when it is putting it into a container I am not sure what is wrong!!!!

Good job I am already bald I think, as hair would be pulled out in clumps by now!

Am in sunny London by the way........

Cheers
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

when I play the created ones I get a "Video codec not supported" message.
This is mystifying, since there is but ONE video codec used for DVDs - MPEG2...

Hopefully, "mike admin" will be able to shed some light on this...

BTW - Regarding the MKVs that were NOT created using MakeMKV (and play properly) - was your original source material for each of them a DVD, or do they possibly consist of other video and audio codecs?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

If you process the MKV with mkvmergegui from mkvtoolnix, would BD390 pay the resulting MKV file?
andyparksy

Post by andyparksy »

Thanks a lot for trying to help me out with this guys - much appreciated

Actually only tried one other MKV which contained some 720p material (think it was h.264), and that was fine, but at the moment all of my DVD mkv's have used MakeMKV - will try out the other tool that Mike mentioned tonight and let you know how I get on with that

Last night I was able to try out the files with another streamer, the ac ryan playon (mini), and that played the files no problem, so think the files are "good" but am striggling to see these compatability issues with this -

PlayonHD - will play
PC WMP 11 - would only play after I inastalled the CCCP codec pack
BD390 - "not supported video codec"

As I say am pretty new to codecs / containers so any help with this is very very greatful received

Cheers
andyparksy

Post by andyparksy »

Well, tried the MKVtoolnix, and even managed to create the mkv (very clever of me....) but am afraid even that file did not play on the BD390, so at least I know it is not just MakeMKV then. Does mean I have not got a clue what is going on with these files - I would say it is probably just the player playing up but couldn't play them on the pc either (through WMP or DIVX Player) UNTIL I updated the PC with the CCCP codec pack......

Would seam ridiculous though that something other than just a very basic codec is required to play the MPEG 2 though, especially as it is playing the original DVDs, and this on two different machines.

Only other thing common to this process has been the PC used to make the MKV, so have tried to use MakeMKV on an oldish laptop I have but couldn't get it to open any of the disks (I do not have ANYDVD running on the laptop - although was under the impression it might not be needed anyway???). So can't even get another source of MKVs that way - really really odd.

Lots of people have posted issues with codec compatability with the MKV but nobody else seams to have such a basic problem jsut playing MPEG2s

Thanks for the input though guys - if nothing else at least I know I am not expecting too much! Any other ideas?
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

I think if you look at it from a different angle it'll help make more sense.
Lots of people have posted issues with codec compatability with the MKV but nobody else seams to have such a basic problem jsut playing MPEG2s
The Issue isn't the mpeg2, but the container it's it. Think of the MKV format like ms word document with pictures inside it. To open it cleanly (and keep this example simple and plain) and get at the info in side it you need MS Word, and not only just MS Word. But the right version of MS word or newer. Other wise sure you'll be able to kinda open it. But with out the right combination of MS Word and the right version. Your going to have a hard time reading all the info in there and seeing all the images.

So with your issue, your basic trying to open a "newer" version of a MKV using a old copy of MKV codec. This line shows us, this was your case on your PC.
UNTIL I updated the PC with the CCCP codec pack......
A good way to test this, is simply convert the MKV to a TS file and see how it plays.

And every one would be well served if they could remember that the MKV format while extremely flexible, and use full. It's a every fickle. And that you need to need to make sure you've got a clean and new(ish) codec installed on *any* device. That you want to play MKVs on. And that most hardware players, do not contain a newer or even a known good codec for the MKV format.
andyparksy

Post by andyparksy »

Thanks - I do appreciate the difference between the codec and the MKV, which is exactly why I am confused by this.

I tried a number of players on the PC (including the new version of divx) which I know from reading around can handle MKVs, even "newer" ones but still needed a codec pack to open up the MKV container.......

Added to this is the fact that the BD390 player can open up other MKVs, just not ones I have created with MakeMKV. I was under the impression that an MKV was an MKV, but are you saying that MakeMKV (and other programs) are creating a "newer" version of MKVs that have different opening requirements to other "older" ones? The player is a new(ish) model, has a recent firmware on it, and from what I can see other people are using it to read MKVs, even ones from MakeMKV so I was jsut trying to figure out why my set up was not working.

Hope that makes sence, but it looks like I am resigned to the fact that the player says it will play them, other people are playing them, but for some reason or other I cannot!

Cheers
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I was under the impression that an MKV was an MKV

No - .MKV is a "container" that can contain many different types of video formats and audio formats - and require different codecs for playback.

That's why your statement (regarding a non-problematic .MKV) in no way addresses the difficulty you've described regarding .MKVs made from standard DVDs:
Actually only tried one other MKV which contained some 720p material (think it was h.264)
andyparksy

Post by andyparksy »

yes, I get what an MKV is, but from some replies on this post it would appear there are even different forms (maybe just versions) of MKV, no matter what is actually inside them. WAs only saying it could play one MKV to highlight that mkvs in themselves are not necessarily the problem
TexasGrillChef

Post by TexasGrillChef »

I have a LG BD390.

I contacted LG.

The LG BD390 player will NOT support or play MKV files that contain MPG2 video.

The video within an MKV file, must be H.264 with ref frames at 3 or 4. IT (BD390) will NOT play MKV files that contain H.264 video with ref frames at 1 or 2.

To play a DVD rip. You must turn your VOB files into MPG files.

I use Easy Media Creater Disk Copy. It isn't fee software. But it combines the VOB files, and turns them in to a .MPG file that the BD390 can play.

IF I want to use subtitles with a SD DVD MPG movie. I use Corel Videostudio X2 Pro. It hard codes the subtitles into the video. (Ie.. the subtitles are NOT a seperate track, but are encoded into the original video track)

The other problem with the BD390 is that unless the subtitles are hardcoded into the original video track, it will only play TEXT based subtitles that are in a SEPERATE file following the format of a Text based .SRT file

The newer BD590 player has FIXED some of the MKV file playback issues. Such as playing back MKV/h.264 files with ref frames set at 1 or 2.

AA
andyparksy

Post by andyparksy »

TexasGrillChef wrote:I have a LG BD390.

I contacted LG.

The LG BD390 player will NOT support or play MKV files that contain MPG2 video.
Thanks a lot, I guess that has hit the nail on the head and really appreciated - has been driving me mad but it looks like after all that it is just the player - is ridiculous that it cannot play an mpeg2 in an mkv though and only reason I got this player so will have to go back!!!

Do you happen to know if the bd590 is going to be able to play them by any chance or does it just solve the ref frame issue?