Remembering play position in MKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
stavarotti

Remembering play position in MKV

Post by stavarotti »

I recently converted my entire DVD collection to MKV using MakeMKV and all is well (Easiest video application I have ever used). After installing the Haali splitter and a registry hack for Windows Media Center 7, I am now able to play the newly created MKV's in Media Center using Media Browser. Additionally, I am able to play the MKV's on my media extenders with zero problems. However, I have noticed that if I stop the MKV and start it again, the video starts from the beginning and not the last played position. Now although this sounds more like a Media Broswer/Media Center problem, I have been able to successfully play, stop and play from the last position, an MKV created using DVDFab and HandBrake. As a result, I am not sure if the files created using MakeMKV have an issue with meta-data corresponding last played position or if I a doing something incorrectly from my end. Please advise :-)

Thanks.
tony55

Re: Remembering play position in MKV

Post by tony55 »

All I can add to this is that MKVs produced by MakeMKV when played on my Seagate player are able to remember the last played position and begin at that location.

Tony
NomadCF

Re: Remembering play position in MKV

Post by NomadCF »

Why I couldn't tell you why some players remember where they left off on some MKV's. I can tell you that this is completely a player issue/setting. Remember players never edit the played file they only read them. And if where saving something to the file, it would need to edit it. Plus the MKV specs don't have a place for some such setting.

MKV spec.: http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/index.html