Wrong Size on DVD copy

Everything related to MakeMKV
Herbyman

Wrong Size on DVD copy

Post by Herbyman »

Hi

I tried to copy a DVD called "Der Seewolf". It consists of a Video file (PAL 720x576, 4:3 ar) and one audio track (mpeg audio). The size of the DVD is 2,8 GB, all on one standard DVD-5. MakeMKV gives me a size of about 5,5 Gig and actually tries to copy that amount of data to HDD, giving me an error message "Copy complete. 0 titles saved. 1 failed". MakeMKV seems to ignore the real size of the DVD and tries to copy anyway. Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more informations.
setarip_old

Re: Wrong Size on DVD copy

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

First of all, you should be aware that processing MPEG audio for DVDs was just added to MakeMKV's capabilities with the recent release of v.1.5.2.

Does this DVD have two versions of the movie on it? ("Theatrical" plus "Director's" or "Extended" or different "angles" where, for example, newspaper headlines are shown in different languages)?
Herbyman

Post by Herbyman »

Hi

I am aware of that, don't worry :wink:

However, no, it was just one plain movie file on that DVD. I investigated this matter further and found out, that also other software have problems to get the right size from the DVD. MakeMKV does show the right size of the DVD in the first screen before it reads the TOC, but then shows the wrong size (5,5Gig instead of 2,8GiG). Maybe the DVD is just "strangely" authored, I don't know. Because this is the only DVD which shows such erratic behauviour, I would say please ignore my posting - it's the DVD, not the software. I apologize.

Herby
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I think it would still be important for the MakeMKV author to understand why it's being misinterpreted...
Herbyman

Post by Herbyman »

Well, if I can be of any help then I'd be happy to provide any information you need. Shall I make special files or screenshots ?
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Thanks for the offer of assistance ;>}

"mike admin" should be showing up to address the issue on a more specific basis...