Support for discs created with Panasonic BD recorders

Everything related to MakeMKV
moongravy

Support for discs created with Panasonic BD recorders

Post by moongravy »

I have a Panasonic DMR-BS850 Freesat Blu-Ray disc Recorder. I'm unable to import discs made with this recorder as they are identified by MakeMKV as data disks. The discs will play in most new standalone Blu-Ray players, so I assumed MakeMKV would recognise them as video discs.

Anyone else have one of these recorders and successfully imported?
Are there any plans to support these discs in future releases?

Thanks, Mark.
setarip_old

Re: Support for discs created with Panasonic BD recorders

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

I noticed the following information in a review of your recorder and wonder if this may be at the root of your problem:

First, the DMR-BS850, will feature a 500GB hard drive, in addition to Blu-ray recording and archiving encoded in AVCHD.
"AVCHD" is a modified version of "standard" BluRay packaging (although the actual video is identical)
moongravy

Post by moongravy »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

I noticed the following information in a review of your recorder and wonder if this may be at the root of your problem:

First, the DMR-BS850, will feature a 500GB hard drive, in addition to Blu-ray recording and archiving encoded in AVCHD.
"AVCHD" is a modified version of "standard" BluRay packaging (although the actual video is identical)
That could well be the issue, thanks. Although SD material plays okay from these disks, I can't find any software that'll read the m2ts file if the content is HD.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Although SD material plays okay from these disks, I can't find any software that'll read the m2ts file if the content is HD.
Sounds like your O/S is XP. If so, you have to install a UDF 2.50 driver in order to make these HD discs visible to your system...
moongravy

Post by moongravy »

setarip_old wrote:
Although SD material plays okay from these disks, I can't find any software that'll read the m2ts file if the content is HD.
Sounds like your O/S is XP. If so, you have to install a UDF 2.50 driver in order to make these HD discs visible to your system...
Both SD & HD discs use UDF2. Probably should have mentioned I'm using a Mac. I can see the file structure on the disk and copy the m2ts file from it, but nothing will play it. It maybe that the BBC are using some undocumented copy protection on the stream. I'll try re-encoding the video on the unit and see if it creates a more standard disc that MakeMKV will read.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Both SD & HD discs use UDF2
No, SD uses UDF 1.02, while HD requires either UDF 2.50 or UDF 2.60...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MakeMKV has a builtin UDF 2.6 reader and it should recognize blu-ray or AVCHD discs. Can you post the list of files from this disc?
moongravy

Post by moongravy »

Im fairly certain both SD & HD discs are written the same way. It's just the m2ts file contains SD or HD video depending on the source.
The recorder is capable of directly copying the transmitted data streams to an m2ts file without re-encoding.

The file structure is as follows:

DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER
-AACS
--AACS_AV
---CPSUnit00001.cci
---Unit_Key_RW.inf
--MKB_RW.inf
-BDAV
--CLIPINF
---00001.clpi
--info.bdav
--PLAYLIST