Ripping Movies From PS3

Everything related to MakeMKV
topgazza

Ripping Movies From PS3

Post by topgazza »

I was thinking about buying a BluRay player fro my PC but .... they are so expensive given that they are early products.

My PS3 sits right next to my PC and has a BluRay player of course. It would make logical sense to rip from the PS3 to the HDD and then dump to an external USB drive and onto the PC and Make MKV.
I've done a search and get mixed messages about this. Is it possible and easy ?
acrylamidetic

Re: Ripping Movies From PS3

Post by acrylamidetic »

If you can still install linux on your PS3 (i.e. have not updated since they announced the firmware that was going to remove OtherOS support), I believe you could do this. The easiest way to do this if you're not familiar with linux would be to install PS3 Swiss Army Knife, (PS3SAK), dump the iso to an external HDD or a networked drive, I recall when I did this years ago it dumped in multiple parts, so you'd have to join them together to make the full .iso, then mount it, and I think MakeMKV could then read it just as if you had the blu-ray in a disc drive in your computer.

I've never done this personally, so make no guarantees that it would work, but I think it would.
SamuriHL

Re: Ripping Movies From PS3

Post by SamuriHL »

acrylamidetic wrote:If you can still install linux on your PS3 (i.e. have not updated since they announced the firmware that was going to remove OtherOS support), I believe you could do this. The easiest way to do this if you're not familiar with linux would be to install PS3 Swiss Army Knife, (PS3SAK), dump the iso to an external HDD or a networked drive, I recall when I did this years ago it dumped in multiple parts, so you'd have to join them together to make the full .iso, then mount it, and I think MakeMKV could then read it just as if you had the blu-ray in a disc drive in your computer.

I've never done this personally, so make no guarantees that it would work, but I think it would.
Yes it would. This is what I was doing before I got my first BD drive on the PC. You can use the copy /b command to combine them all from the fat external drive onto your PC. Then MakeMKV can work with the ISO.