"Failed to save..." error when changing output directory

Everything related to MakeMKV
dhstraayer

"Failed to save..." error when changing output directory

Post by dhstraayer »

I'm using MakeMKV to convert files I've ripped with MagicDVD into MKV files. They are stored on my server, on a disk I've mapped as my "T:" drive.

I'm using Win 7, by the way.

If I let MakeMKV use its default output directory "C:\Video", all is well. It works fine.

If I change the output directory to use my mapped "T:" drive, I always get the a"Failed to save" error.

Code: Select all

Operation successfully completed
Saving 2 titles into directory T:/Video/HARRY_POTTER_AND_THE_SORCERER'S_STONE
Failed to save title 0 to file T:/Video/HARRY_POTTER_AND_THE_SORCERER'S_STONE/t00_HARRY_POTTER_AND_THE_SORCERER'S_STONE.mkv
Failed to save title 1 to file T:/Video/HARRY_POTTER_AND_THE_SORCERER'S_STONE/t01_HARRY_POTTER_AND_THE_SORCERER'S_STONE.mkv
0 titles saved, 2 failed
Is there some restriction that the output directory has to be on a particular (?local) drive?
mike admin

Re: "Failed to save..." error when changing output directory

Post by mike admin »

dhstraayer wrote:Is there some restriction that the output directory has to be on a particular (?local) drive?
No, any directory should work. Please enable debug log in preferences and post the full log here.
keastland

Post by keastland »

I'm having that same problem when i try to rip a DVD.

Attached is my log file.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

I never save to a local directory, output usually goes to a USB attached HDD or a networked drive - it all works without any issues.
dhstraayer

Post by dhstraayer »

OK, here is an example of a ripped DVD that worked OK on default output, but failed when I tried to redirect it to a network drive. It is only a minor inconvenience to be restricted to the C: drive, it just adds another time-consuming filecopy. But it is odd, no?

I had a devil of a time when I first downloaded MakeDVD, because it always failed on me (because I always redirected the output directory). It's only chance that I tried letting the output directory default. "Letting programs have their defaults" is a good trick to try when a program just doesn't seem to be working.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

keastland wrote:I'm having that same problem when i try to rip a DVD.

Attached is my log file.
Your error is different

Code: Select all

Drive DVD+R-DL MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-861H 1.50 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

dhstraayer wrote:OK, here is an example of a ripped DVD that worked OK on default output, but failed when I tried to redirect it to a network drive. It is only a minor inconvenience to be restricted to the C: drive, it just adds another time-consuming filecopy. But it is odd, no?

I had a devil of a time when I first downloaded MakeDVD, because it always failed on me (because I always redirected the output directory). It's only chance that I tried letting the output directory default. "Letting programs have their defaults" is a good trick to try when a program just doesn't seem to be working.
Strangely the log shows no diagnostic codes. What happens if you try to save on drive T, does MakeMKV create an empty directory? What happens if you create directory manually? Are you sure that you have necessary access rights?
dhstraayer

Post by dhstraayer »

More clues. This problem seems to be exclusively a bug related to running MakeMKV on previously ripped files (Ripped with another program: Magic DVD Ripper). When ripping from the original DVDs, redirection across the network works OK.

By the way, when ripping across my network like this, I get a lot of messages reading: "Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages."

Is this just a warning, or can it result in errors? I know writing across my network is slower than writing to a local disk, but it is faster than writing to the local disk and then copying across the network. :-) A little reassurance would be appreciated.

Dave Straayer
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Ripped with another program: Magic DVD Ripper
With the arrival of MakeMKV v.1.63, this problem (Pre-processing with another program) has disappeared regarding most other third party programs...