JAVA installation help

Everything related to MakeMKV
Angryman

JAVA installation help

Post by Angryman »

Whilst MakeMKV kindly directs you to the small info page about why to install JAVA, it fails to give any detail on how to install this in the so called private / non system-wide way.
If this is already posted then my apologies, but can someone kindly list out how to do a non systemwide install as I really do NOT want JAVA let lose on my system as a standard system install. I ONLY want MakeMKV to access it with it's tendrils kept out of everything else!
dcoke22

Re: JAVA installation help

Post by dcoke22 »

Are you asking about Windows 10?

It is important to understand the difference between Java as a web browser plug-in vs Java as a runtime available on your computer. Having it available as a plug-in for your web browser(s) is probably not the thing you want to do. https://www.java.com/en/download/help/d ... rowser.xml

Having it available as one of the many, many runtimes available on your computer is probably fine. However, if you're extra paranoid, Java need not be in your Windows $PATH variable to be used by MakeMKV. After Java is installed, you could remove it from the system's $PATH and set MakeMKV's preferences to point to Java.
Angryman

Re: JAVA installation help

Post by Angryman »

Yep, windows 10 Pro.

Only reason I would want Java is for MakeMKV, nothing else. I'm trying to rip my "Knives Out" BD for my Shield and in over 400 discs this is the first one that seems it's going to require it to work.