Any reason why some of my 4K rips might be glitchy during playback, yet play fine via original disc on my Xbox One?

Everything related to MakeMKV
NickMKV

Any reason why some of my 4K rips might be glitchy during playback, yet play fine via original disc on my Xbox One?

Post by NickMKV »

Hello,

Maybe someone can help me troubleshoot an issue I'm having with some of my 4K rips.

I recently purchased The Natural on 4K UHD. If I stick the disc into my Xbox One and watch the movie or any of the special features, everything's perfectly fine. No glitches, no stutters, all's good.

When I rip all of the titles using MakeMKV, they too play fine using VLC Media Player...except for one. It's a measly little 2 minute and 8 second introduction video where the director introduces the Director's Cut of the movie in 4K. On playback with VLC, the video is all grey and glitchy and stutters, but the audio plays fine. I'm trying to figure out why. There are no issues during the rip, no warnings, no errors, nothing like that. I'm wondering if maybe the PC I'm using for playback doesn't have a powerful enough CPU or GPU or not enough RAM or something...?

The odd thing is that just about all other 4K video files play just fine. The 65GB file for the movie itself plays perfectly fine. It just seems like every once in a while, one random special feature on a 4K disc exhibits an issue like this.

Probably unrelated, but a somewhat similar issue happens with 'It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown' (a 4K bonus feature on 'A Charlie Brown Christmas') where the .mkv file stutters during playback, but is fine when played off the original disc on an Xbox One. There are no errors reported during the rip of that title either. Are there some titles on a 4K disc where the studio goofed and for some reason it's trying to stream an ungodly amount of data? Just seems odd that a 2 minute video would bring my PC to its knees, but the complete movie doesn't. (I have no idea how some of that stuff works.)

One thing that may be helpful to note is that this 'director's intro' special feature for The Natural was originally released on the DVD release of the film, not the blu-ray, and then when put onto this 4K release, the video has been upscaled. From the blu-ray.com review of the special features: "Director's Intro (2160p upscaled, 2:08): Of this cut, Levinson says it offers a "redoing [of] the entire first act, which is much closer to the original intention." This feature was created for the DVD that originally included this cut; it was not made available on the 2010 Blu-ray." I wonder if there is something with the way the video is upscaled on the disc. Maybe it's doing it on the fly? The resultant .mkv file is 3840 x 2160.

Here are my PC specs:

Code: Select all

Processor:     Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.4Ghz
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB
System Type:   64-bit Operating System, x64-based Processor

Generic PnP Monitor and NVIDIA GeForce 210 Properties
Adapter Type:                    NVIDIA GeForce 210
Chip Type:                       GeForce 210
DAC Type:                        Integrated RAMDAC
Adapter String:                  GeForce 210
Bios Information:                Version 70.18.5f.0.6
Total Available Graphics Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Video Memory:          1024 MB
System Video Memory:             0 MB
Shared System Memory:            3071 MB
I have also attempted to watch the video using Plex on my TV, streamed via a wired network connection from my Synology NAS, however my NAS is just network area storage, not a proper server, so it doesn't have a very powerful processor.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Billycar11

Re: Any reason why some of my 4K rips might be glitchy during playback, yet play fine via original disc on my Xbox One?

Post by Billycar11 »

your gt210 GPU does not support HVEC/H.265 decoding or HDR you cpu must do all the work and can just almost do it but the slight glitches and stuff are it falling behind my old i5 2500K could just barely do it overclocked to 4.5GHZ.
you could try overclocking to fix it but i would recommend getting a GTX 1050 or greater that supports HVEC and hdr decoding
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
NickMKV

Re: Any reason why some of my 4K rips might be glitchy during playback, yet play fine via original disc on my Xbox One?

Post by NickMKV »

Thanks for the response. I kinda figured the GPU I have is weak by today's standards.

And while not knowing how 4K discs are programmed, my guess is there might be something special with the way this one particular title is being upscaled on The Natural. I don't know how upscaling works but would be interested in learning if anyone knows and could explain. Is it done via some Java program on the disc or something?