How really fast does it convert?

Everything related to MakeMKV
linkPH7

How really fast does it convert?

Post by linkPH7 »

We have been using the software for quite sometime now, converting dvds to mkv and gets it done within 35-40 mins. After recommending it to some friends they say that they can convert in 15 mins. Is it because of our Atom processor? How long does it really take to convert dvds/bluray? Thanks!
Last edited by linkPH7 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
setarip_old

Re: How really fast does it convert?

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

As you were guessing, it depends on your system configuration...

Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

Notice-Me Blue-Text Guy wrote:As you were guessing, it depends on your system configuration...
Well, no kidding. EVERYTHING you do on a computer depends on your "system configuration."

Many factors play into it, the least of which is your processor.

Dual-layer discs will obviously take longer than single-layer discs. The speed of your optical drive is the main bottleneck, and ripping to a fragmented hard drive can have a big impact, too.

MakeMKV isn't "converting" in the usual sense of the word. It's taking multiplexed streams from a VOB/TS container and muxing them into an MKV container untouched. The speed is really no different than if you simply copied the files from the disc to your hard drive.
tony55

Post by tony55 »

That has been something that's been on my mind for quite awhile. My computer is an old rattle box so I don't expect much from it except it always works and it is not prone to any problems. My BR rom is rated at 3.5x. Using MakeMKV most all BRs rip at about 2.0x to 2.4x. However, if I use Fab Passkey to open the BR than use MakeMKV to rip the BR it copies the BR to my hard disk at 3.5x. With Passkey all my cpu capacity is used so the rip is much faster. Without using passkey the TaskMngr only registers 60-70 cpu capacity.

Don't know why it's that way but even though MakeMKV always has a popup indicating that I might have a problem with the rip.. but so far never a problem.

Tony
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

tony55 wrote:My BR rom is rated at 3.5x. Using MakeMKV most all BRs rip at about 2.0x to 2.4x.
Is this still true with 1.6.0 ?
tony55

Post by tony55 »

@ Mike

No. but with earlier versions.
My computer is an old 1.6 P4 so I never know what to make of faster or slower
with anything. I'm sure if I had a newer computer all versions would have ripped
at the faster speed.

Tony
nick1977

Post by nick1977 »

If your PC is taking 35-40 minutes to make the mkv then I would look at your DVD drive as causing the problem.
Either it is an old model, having trouble reading discs, or it could be speed locked for ripping. This is quite common, restricting the speed to 1.5-2x when ripping.
I know my Pioneer drive was speed locked when I bought it, but 5 minutes on google helped me find a firmware "upgrade" that removed it.
My PC is about 7 years old now, but I still managed to rip Aliens DVD to an MKV in 8 minutes this morning.

Worth a bit of investigating if you are ripping a large collection...

Nick