Problem - tsMuxer Created Structures

Everything related to MakeMKV
setarip_old

Re: Problem - tsMuxer Created Structures

Post by setarip_old »

@SamuriHL

Glad to hear your one second tail clipping eliminates the problem you've had ;>}
(Coincidentally but I'm sure totally unrelated, I've had similar success clipping off the FIRST second of BD-RB files in order to get them to work propperly with "multiAVCHD")

However, I've got to ask - when you say:
I took one of the ones I knew that didn't work...
Does that mean that they were the result of already ripped (by AnyDVD) and possibly already pre-processed (by Clown BD and/or others), rather than the "clean usage" (that I've successfully used numerous times) that I proposed and you agreed to try? (Yes, I know that "liquidskin76" stated he/she has tried this)

[/color]
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yes, it's one that was already ripped. I haven't gotten to your test yet, but, as I promised, I shall. I've just been very busy today and haven't had time to get to everything I wanted to do. I just wanted to first make sure that the 1 second thing worked on the ones I was having trouble with first. And it does.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

**UPDATE**

I just successfully processed "Percy Jackson & the Olympians - The Lightning Thief" as follows:

1) Used MakeMKV to copy full BluRay disc (decrypted mode) to hard drive
2) Loaded applicable MPLS into tsMuxeRGUI
3) DE-selected non-English audiostreams and subtitle streams
4) Selected option to downconvert DTS audio
5) Saved as "new" BluRay to hard drive
6) Loaded .M2TS from "new" BluRay into MakeMKV and successfully created an .MKV

Note: I accomplished exactly the same thing using Passkey instead MakeMKV for the initial copy to hard drive.

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I own that one so I'll give it a try tomorrow using both an AnyDVD rip to hard drive and a MakeMKV rip to hard drive. I will NOT be downconverting the HD audio as I keep HD audio in all my MKV's. That will be the only difference for our methods. I'll post back tomorrow when I get that done. It'll require ripping it twice and running it through tsMuxer twice so it'll take a bit of time.
liquidskin76

Post by liquidskin76 »

Hey SamuriHL,

Just tried a VC1 vid using the 1 sec cut fix and it worked, however then tried a h.264 vid and it failed outright as usual. Can you test and confirm?

Thanks
liquidskin76

Post by liquidskin76 »

Hang on, i've already mentioned that h.264 still fails!
liquidskin76 wrote:Ok, forget what i said about vc1 and mpeg2 vid being ok. This is getting weirder by the minute...

I i run a VC1 or Mpeg2 backup (on HDD) through tsmuxer, remove unwanted audio, subs, etc, then output as BD disc. Run that output through MakeMKV and it gets to zero time remaining, then doesn't finish. I have to kill MakeMKV via task manager.

This is the weird bit! If run that tsmuxer BD output back throuth tsmuxer again, but this time create a 10 second cut, then run that through MakeMKV, it works fine! So effectively it's been through tsmuxer twice.

WTF!!!!

H.264 still fails outright, regardless of whether it's a full tsmuxer output or 10 second tsmuxer clip.

SamuriHL,

When you get chance, can you test the same thing?

Cheers mate
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I did the 1 second cut thing on probably 6 or 7 of them last night and it worked fine on all of them. At the moment I'm working on Seta's test. I'm ripping Percy Jackson with MakeMKV right now. I've already tsMuxer'd the AnyDVD output. I've not run it through MakeMKV yet as I wanted to get all the ripping and tsMuxing out of the way first.

But back to your question, I did several of them last night, most were h.264, and all worked. I had none that failed after doing the 1 second cut trick.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

This is going to upset seta_rip. :) A lot.

US Percy Jackson Blu-ray.

-AnyDVD rip, tsMuxer kept avc video/dts-hd ma audio/pgs sub
-MakeMKV rip, tsMuxer kept avc video/dts-hd ma audio/pgs sub

So, it does *NOT* matter how it's ripped. And ONLY tsMuxer was in the mix. The only difference here to what you did was I kept the HD audio track and you downconverted it. I am re-running MakeMKV on the MakeMKV/tsMuxer rip and this time only keeping the core audio track. I suspect this will work. Will post back in a bit, but, I think I found the culprit....it seems the HD audio track is to blame here. More testing is needed to back up that claim, but, Mike, did you keep HD audio in your tests with tsMuxer??

EDIT: (And before you ask, yes, I completely disabled AnyDVD when doing the MakeMKV rip)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea, I was right. Simply telling MakeMKV to only keep the core DTS audio allowed it to finish correctly. So it would seem the issue is definitely with HD audio tracks that are run through tsMuxer. That's it. The whole issue in a nutshell. :) Now, why stripping off the last second works I have no idea, but, it seems to in my case. (Not so much for Liquid, I guess. sigh) Mike, will this help you narrow down the problem now? At least you can easily repro it finally.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

setarip_old wrote:
The issue appears to be something in tsMuxer.

And again, you're ignoring the fact that I've had no such problem when using ONLY tsMuxeR in conjunction with ONLY MakeMKV dozens of times, including several made since the inception of this thread.

Just going back to this quote....do you see now why I was insistent on keeping an open mind on this issue? If I had jumped to conclusions, I wouldn't have found the issue. It's great that most people are only keeping core audio, and that seems to work just fine with tsMuxer, however, some of us are able to bitstream HD audio within our MKV's and wish to keep that. I wasn't ignoring anything....I was simply trying to figure out the exact cause of the issue. Just something to remember in the future, that's all.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@SamuriHL

Rather than getting into a contest with you regarding which one of us was insisting on keeping an open mind, I'll just mention the following:

1) When I started with either Passkey or MakeMKV to do a full disc backup and selected DTS HD audio (without UNchecking the core audio) and then ran the result through tsMuxeR and then MakeMKV, I obtained the same (negative) results as you did

2) For the final proof, however, when I started with either Passkey or MakeMKV to do a full disc backup and selected HD audio (without UNchecking the core audio) and then WENT DIRECTLY TO MAKEMKV WITHOUT USING tsMuxeR, the result was just fine - and played back under VLC.

This now indicates that the problem most likely lies with tsMuxeR's processing of DTS HD audio - although there is still the possibility that the DTS HD audio as extracted by MakeMKV is ever so slightly "less than perfect" but playable by VLC and other software and hardware.

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

What I don't understand is what tsMuxer is doing to the DTS-HD MA stream. It should be fully compliant. Yet MakeMKV doesn't seem to like it. Since I don't have any problems bitstreaming the resulting tsMuxer output in all of my players (WinDVD, PDVD, TMT3, ffdshow + Any DS Player), I'm at a loss as to where the issue really is. Is it possible MakeMKV has some bug that's causing it to not read the tsMuxer output correctly? It's possible. Is tsMuxer not creating a fully compliant stream? Also possible. I really don't know. All I can do is report what I've found and hope Mike has an answer as to where the problem lies. If it's a tsMuxer bug I can live with that. If it's a bug in MakeMKV, maybe Mike can fix it and improve the product. In any case, I have a proven workaround (for myself that doesn't seem to work for Liquid) and am satisfied. I don't really see the need to run stuff through tsMuxer before running it through MakeMKV, but, since I had a bunch of tsMuxer created ISO's kicking around and wanted to convert them to MKV I figured it'd be faster than having to do them all from the original discs. At this point, it would have been faster to get my lazy butt out of my chair and start swapping discs. But, since I was hoping this would help lead to the cause and/or solution to the problem I went this route. Now I'm almost done converting my stuff with MakeMKV and then I'm done with this process. All future backups will be made directly off the disc for me as I buy them. No more need to create ISO's or any other nonsense. I'm definitely a MKV convert and wholeheartedly embrace the MKV revolution. With ffdshow providing bitstreaming and full PGS sub support to any direct show player (and in fact, I'm using WMP 64 bit as my player these days) with the MPC mkv splitter, I'm good to go. At least now we know where the issue is and why you and I had different results with tsMuxer output. For the future I suppose we should remember to detail every last thing...it would have cut through the confusion 3 pages ago. :)
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

it would have cut through the confusion 3 pages ago.
But what would be the fun then? ;>}

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

setarip_old wrote:
it would have cut through the confusion 3 pages ago.
But what would be the fun then? ;>}

Clearly. :D At least we have it narrowed down now where Mike should be able to take a look. Maybe he can figure out why MakeMKV is hanging. I'd love to see a solution to this problem.
liquidskin76

Post by liquidskin76 »

Well, both the 1 sec cut and downconvert to ac3/dts works for vc1 (haven't tested mpeg2 yet).

However, here's where i'm gonna throw a spanner in the works! Can't get h.264 vids to work all, regardless of using 10 sec sample, 1 sec cut, or audio downconvert. Tested multiple discs. It fails outright.

SamuriHL,

So, you've definately got h.264 vid to backup using 1 sec cut or audio downconvert. Do you own Avatar or Sunshine? They are 2 i've tested. If so, can you test with those?

Cheers mate