Problem - tsMuxer Created Structures

Everything related to MakeMKV
liquidskin76

Re: Problem - tsMuxer Created Structures

Post by liquidskin76 »

This is really weird... every vc1 or mpeg2 disc i've testing is working fine. It's just appears to be h.264 vids.

I'll uploads a few more h.264 samples for you to check the access unit headers.

Thanks
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea, I'll cut a sample in a little bit and upload it somewhere.
liquidskin76

Post by liquidskin76 »

Ok, forget what i said about vc1 and mpeg2 vid being ok. This is getting weirder by the minute...

I i run a VC1 or Mpeg2 backup (on HDD) through tsmuxer, remove unwanted audio, subs, etc, then output as BD disc. Run that output through MakeMKV and it gets to zero time remaining, then doesn't finish. I have to kill MakeMKV via task manager.

This is the weird bit! If run that tsmuxer BD output back throuth tsmuxer again, but this time create a 10 second cut, then run that through MakeMKV, it works fine! So effectively it's been through tsmuxer twice.

WTF!!!!

H.264 still fails outright, regardless of whether it's a full tsmuxer output or 10 second tsmuxer clip.

SamuriHL,

When you get chance, can you test the same thing?

Cheers mate
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea, it's going to be a little bit. I'm back at work today after another week off, so, I'm playing catchup at the moment. I'll see if I can get to it in a little while after work settles down.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Hmm. I just attempted to make a short sample from one of my BD's and the sample worked. Then I tried the whole movie without cuts. It's hanging on the end. I'm going to try something now. I'll get back to you in a bit.
Last edited by SamuriHL on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Ok, liquid, I got some stuff for you to do now. :) I just used ClownBD and set the "cut 1 second" option. Was just a hunch. The result......MakeMKV worked perfectly on the output from tsMuxer. Will attempt this on some others. But I want you to do the same.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Sounds like you folks are gradually coming around to what I posted very early on in this thread:
I've performed similar, but more direct, conversions dozens of times with no such difficulty. I've first ripped an original BluRay disc to my hard drive (using either MakeMKV or DVDFab Passkey), loaded it DIRECTLY into tsMuxeR GUI v.1.10.6, eliminated, added, or modified audiostreams, eliminated some or all PGS streams and re-saved as BluRay. I've then used MakeMKV to create an .MKV without any problems.

Based on the above, I can't see how either tsMuxeR or MakeMKV could be the cause or a contributing factor in the problem you've described. Logically, it would seem that the problem lies with one or some of the following: your decrypter, eac3to, or ClownBD...

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's quite a stretch to make that assumption! It doesn't matter what tool is used to decrypt or extract. If you've read through this thread, you'll see that this happens when using MakeMKV to rip to the hard drive first, then use tsMuxer on that, and then MakeMKV on the tsMuxer output. So, your logic and your stretch to the "flawed tool" assumption is quite flawed in itself. The issue appears to be something in tsMuxer. Cutting the last second off appears to fix whatever the issue is. However, more testing is needed and at this time we're not going to be jumping to *ANY* conclusions about anything just yet.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

The issue appears to be something in tsMuxer.

And again, you're ignoring the fact that I've had no such problem when using ONLY tsMuxeR in conjunction with ONLY MakeMKV dozens of times, including several made since the inception of this thread.

Additionally, considering the fairly common usage of tsMuxeR in tandem with MakeMKV, one might expect similar postings by at least several others at this forum, as well as at others. I haven't seen any.

Thusfar, from what I've seen in this thread, postings by "liquidskin76" are inconsistent with regard to this perceived problem as they refer to varying results regarding codecs as well as varying pre-processing software and procedures.

To help narrow down the possible cause of your difficulty, as an experiment, why don't you and "liquidskin76" try EXACTLY the "clean" usage I've described and see if the resultant file is also problematic?
I've first ripped an original BluRay disc to my hard drive (using either MakeMKV or DVDFab Passkey), loaded it DIRECTLY into tsMuxeR GUI v.1.10.6, eliminated, added, or modified audiostreams, eliminated some or all PGS streams and re-saved as BluRay. I've then used MakeMKV to create an .MKV without any problems.

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I can certainly do so when I get a free moment. I was under the understanding that Liquid tried that already and came up with the same results...i.e. not working. Using MakeMKV, rip the whole disc to a folder, then load an MPLS in tsMuxer, output the streams he wanted, and then load the tsMuxer folder into MakeMKV. I believe he said that failed, as well. However, I can certainly recreate that experiment in a little bit and see if it works for me.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

BTW - Try loading the M2TS (As you know, MOST BluRay main movies are single M2TS files) file instead of the MPLS...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The problem with that is that it loses the chapter info as that's not stored in the m2ts container. It's fine for a test, however, but, not as a practical solution. Also, seamless branching titles won't work like that, either. So I'll find one that isn't seamless branched and give it a try.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Ok. I'm back with some LONNNNNGGGGGG tests. I took one of the ones I knew that didn't work:
-extracted the streams
-stuck them in tsMuxer
-built a BD folder structure
-ran MakeMKV against the folder
-Waited 30 minutes (was supposed to be done in 10) and it was hung quite well

-Killed MakeMKV processes
-Had tsMuxer still open...made one small change to strip the last second off the end
-Created a new BD folder structure with the one change
-ran MakeMKV against the new folder
-Waited 10 minutes.....DONE

Worked flawlessly. Sooooooo, yea. Whatever. It's an easy work around for the issue.
liquidskin76

Post by liquidskin76 »

setarip_old,

If you read one of my firsts posts, you will see i HAVE tried MakeMKV to decrypt and backup, then tsmuxer. I got the problem. I've decrypting with MakeMKV, DVDFab, AnyDVD... you name it, i've used it. I got the same problems no matter what backup tool i used.

As for inconsistent results from me, i got those by using a mix of testing with full discs (not working) and 10 second tsmuxer samples (working), before i put two and two together. That was what i was finding odd, that some worked but others didn't. This find has resulted in Samuri finding the 1 second cut (temp) fix, and will hopefully give some pointers to Mike and the MakeMKV team.

We're not a bunch of noobs wasting everyones time you know!!!

As for your comments on using tsmuxer being quite common, i expect it's not that common with being used with MakeMKV, as the whole point of MakeMKV is to create a MKV direct from a BD/DVD disc, without having to use any other tool. The fact that we're doing it doesn't mean it's fairly common!

Sam,

I'll try the 1 second cut and see what i get. In the end, it should only be a black screen we're losing!!

Cheers mate
Last edited by liquidskin76 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Correct. I've done 3 of them that didn't work before, cutting the 1 second thing at the end, and now all work fine. So, the "theory" that it was how we ripped it isn't panning out so well IMO. :) I don't really care in any case. As long as I have a solution to the issue, I'm good. Losing a second at the end isn't a big deal to me.