BD-ROM read speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
philnort

Re: BD-ROM read speed

Post by philnort »

I know it can be frustrating to be locked into slow ripping speeds. About 8 months ago I purchased a B/R Lite-on IHES-208. It maxed out at 4X for dual layer BRs. HOWEVER, I knew from having done some homework, that this model was supported on the CD Freaks forum with their MediaCodeSpeedEdit utility. It was a 2-step process: D/L their "raw" factory firmware, then apply the MediaCodeSpeedEdit utility to unlock the ripping speed that was "locked" by the factory.

I now routinely enjoy 7X-8X speeds. A 25GB B/R might take 17-23 minutes to rip with MakeMKV. In short what I'm postulating is this: I believe the software program have NOTHING to do with your drive's ripping potential. You must unlock the manufacturer's locked ripping speed within the hardware.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

philnort wrote:I know it can be frustrating to be locked into slow ripping speeds. About 8 months ago I purchased a B/R Lite-on IHES-208. It maxed out at 4X for dual layer BRs. HOWEVER, I knew from having done some homework, that this model was supported on the CD Freaks forum with their MediaCodeSpeedEdit utility. It was a 2-step process: D/L their "raw" factory firmware, then apply the MediaCodeSpeedEdit utility to unlock the ripping speed that was "locked" by the factory.

I now routinely enjoy 7X-8X speeds. A 25GB B/R might take 17-23 minutes to rip with MakeMKV. In short what I'm postulating is this: I believe the software program have NOTHING to do with your drive's ripping potential. You must unlock the manufacturer's locked ripping speed within the hardware.
Newbs should be aware anytime you flash, there's a risk of turning working hw into a paperweight. I think this area has still been neglected. If it works, fine. But if you have a problem(like after the flash the hw is unresponsive) there's no way that I know of to fix it, 'cept maybe pulling the drive apart and replacing or flashing a chip. Once you're hosed you're hosed.

I only do flash updates with that in mind. There's always a risk.

But, to the subject at hand.. if it was just the drive read speed it would be slow no matter what software you used. I've definitely encountered discs where one app did in 15 minutes what another was going to take 35 to do.. but it's not the same apps.. it changes with the discs. So maybe the circumlocution tactics of a particular disc confuse one program more than another? Who knows.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I would hope that most members have other, more important things to be doing on their computers (or elsewhere), so that ripping is occurring in the background (or while you're otherwise occupied) - and, therefore, ripping speed is irrelevant...

MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

setarip_old wrote:I would hope that most members have other, more important things to be doing on their computers (or elsewhere), so that ripping is occurring in the background (or while you're otherwise occupied) - and, therefore, ripping speed is irrelevant...

I think 2 things are getting confused. Just ripping faster to be fast, and slow rips indicating something is getting mixed up. I've used ripper tools and they seem to be going along rather slowly, but as you say I just let it run. Often it turns out the rip is useless because errors are generated when you try to use it. That's why I think it's a good idea to have more than one ripping tool. If one doesn't succeed with a particular disc, try another.

If the drive being slow is the issue, it should be slow across all the tools. If it's only slow with one tool on one disc then the tool probably got lost trying to figure out the obfuscation strategy... thereby generating the errors.
gremlin190

Post by gremlin190 »

mike admin wrote:What is the rip speed if you simply copy files from drive to hdd? MakeMKV should process data as fast as drive can read it.

Sorry for the delay,I understand what you are saying here. Doing file copies using robocopy, I average at 10.5MB/s. It took 21:38 to copy a 12.699GB file. I recently aquired a Liteon IHES208 and was able to copy the same file @ 16.4MB/s and copies the file in 13:47. This is with AnyDVD running

More to follow in a bit. There seems to be a big difference in speed with anydvd turned off
gremlin190

Post by gremlin190 »

Ok,
Now testing without AnyDVD. The pioneer is still rather slow. I got up to 12.1MB and took 18:44. The Liteon, on the other hand was incredible!!! 31.2MB/s and a copy time of 7:16.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

gremlin190 wrote:The pioneer is still rather slow. I got up to 12.1MB and took 18:44. The Liteon, on the other hand was incredible!!! 31.2MB/s and a copy time of 7:16.
Thanks for doing this. Now, the tricky question - with AnyDVD disabled, on liteon, what times do you get if you:
1) select "backup" from menu, with decryption
2) copy all titles from disc with default settings.

You should get comparable speeds with both (1) and (2). Significantly slower speeds are clearly defect in program.

p.s. Please Make sure that "read buffer size" in IO preferences is 1GB, as long as you have more then 2GB of RAM.
gremlin190

Post by gremlin190 »

Doing the exact steps listed below, I get a maximum speed of 4x and 17MB/s with the Lite-on drive. I have a screen shot at home, and I still want to run it with the encryption turn off too.
gremlin190

Post by gremlin190 »

Even with encryption turned off, there didn't seem to be any noticeable speed increases. This was the worst disc to use do to the fact that it had many small files on it, but it's also what I used to benchmark with robocopy. However between myself and a colleague, we have never gone much higher then 4x rip speed with the lite-on. I've had similar results as posted by others when using the pioneer. Also, I have 8gb of ram and win 7 x64 if that helps.