Auto Update Feature

Everything related to MakeMKV
delio77

Auto Update Feature

Post by delio77 »

For a program that charges 50 bucks I would expect at least a manual e-mail when there is a new version released. If you can't make your app auto update itself to the newest versions, then can you at least e-mail the paying customers when there is a new release? This is a pretty basic feature in software these days. For such a steep price, I would expect more than me having to remember to check the site every so often for a new version.

I am not asking for much, just setup a mailing list for those of us that want it, or e-mail all paying customers.. Something has to be better than this. I hate finding out that I am 2 or 3 revs behind on an app I paid good money for.
mike admin

Re: Auto Update Feature

Post by mike admin »

The absence of auto-update is a feature for many - not everyone wants their program to call home. Thanks for email suggestion - this is a fairly easy thing to do.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

A lot of programs that have forums associated with them just create an announcement thread that people can subscribe to. That way when a new version is released, they get an email, go to the thread, and find a link to the new version. Something else to consider.
delio77

Post by delio77 »

I would settle for a RSS feed to the page where you post the updates. Just ANY way of notification of a new release. I personally think the excuse for a lack of auto update feature is BS, because you can easily put in a check box to disable the auto update. As hard as you guys work to stay ahead of disc decryption I would imagine it wold behoove people to stay as current as possible. I shouldn't have to troll your website to find out that a new version of an app that I paid a lot of money for is now available. If you want to commercialize this product I really think you need to consider a better method.
markb

Post by markb »

How about a "Check for Update" button......
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

SamuriHL wrote:A lot of programs that have forums associated with them just create an announcement thread that people can subscribe to. That way when a new version is released, they get an email, go to the thread, and find a link to the new version. Something else to consider.
Speaking of which, I don't see a "subscribe to thread" button or I'd subscribe to the release announcement thread as you suggested.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

MilesAhead wrote:
Speaking of which, I don't see a "subscribe to thread" button or I'd subscribe to the release announcement thread as you suggested.
It's at the very bottom of each thread, hidden as well as can be. :D But it's there.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Version 1.5.8 has auto-update for both program and SVQ
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

NICE! Thanks, Mike!
eMpTy3000

Post by eMpTy3000 »

mike admin wrote:Version 1.5.8 has auto-update for both program and SVQ
I am a developer and my program uses the command line utility exclusively. Is there any chance we can have the auto update feature available via the command line? That would be fantastic!!!

Thanks!