3D Blu-Rays - A Guide!

Everything related to MakeMKV
moamoa

3D Blu-Rays - A Guide!

Post by moamoa »

Hi,

As a happy MakeMKV customer I have been happily using MakeMKV and Handbrake together to encode my Blu-Ray library into a nice collection of MKV files that I can play on my media system. This far life is good. However, having upgrading to a 3D projector, I will start getting the 3D versions of movies in future. This seems to be where my previous happy process is broken. I cant find a way to create a nice sized, good quality, file.

I see that MakeMKV can now seem to rip the 3D file. It makes a file (massive obliviously) which can be played with an application called Stereoscopic. But this is not really practicable or desirable for most people, as most people want a file than can be played on various devices and that means a conversion. I know DVDFab will rip and re-encode a 3D blu-ray (to SBS), as I tried the demo last night, but I'd like to stick with MakeMKV and handbrake (or similar).

Is there are Guide to doing this? Can anything be done with the file MakeMKV produces?

If I can't find a solution i've no real option other than to dump MakeMKV and move to DVDFab! :(

Help.
shanec

Re: 3D Blu-Rays - A Guide!

Post by shanec »

It sounds like you want to do something that MakeMKV wasn't designed for. If you don't care for the difference in quality then use DVDfab to make side by side MKVs from 3D blurays.

If you want the full quality, use stereoscopic or stick with making 3D ISO movie only with DVDfab and PowerDVD. I actually use both, stereoscopic for movies without forced subtitles and 3D Main Movie only copy from DVDfab for ones that do (like say, the avengers). You can even make a 3D movie only copy to folder, edit the .bdmv to add a command to turn the forced subtitles on then re-image your modification back to iso using the dvdfab miniiso mount and then clone the virtual ISO.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you have a 3D MVC MKV file, you can use Stereoscopic MvcConverter to convert to side by side. I don't know if free tools exist for such conversion. There is a work underway to add MVC support to ffmpeg, and once this will be done, it probably will be picked by Handbrake soon enough.
moamoa

Post by moamoa »

No, it does not create a SBS file. It just creates two separate AVI files. Which doesn't really help.

I guess currently MakeMKV is used by two sets of people, those that use the ripped mkv as is in full quality and those that re-encode it to other formats (for reasns of size or device).

Where it's 2D;
1. Those that use the raw mkv can pretty much play it on anything without any trouble. perfect.
2. Those that re-encode can use all kinds of free and paid tools and pretty much convert it to anything they like, prefect again.

Where it's 3D;
1. Those that use the raw (mvc) mkv can really only do ONE thing with it. Play it with a single paid application, Stereoscopic (which actually doesn't really work well for me as it will not output Frame Packed correctly)
2. Those that re-encode, well.. they can do nothing.

I know it's not a fault with MakeMKV, but it's such as shame that it can rip and generate this file, but then you can't make a SBS file with that output, that can then be used on all kinds of devices. I think it would be what the vast majority of users would want to to with it. I hope a tools comes soon. Preferably an option for handbrake! :)
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

moamoa wrote:Where it's 3D;
1. Those that use the raw (mvc) mkv can really only do ONE thing with it. Play it with a single paid application, Stereoscopic (which actually doesn't really work well for me as it will not output Frame Packed correctly)
No, the latest Mede8er devices, with up-to-date firmware, can play MKV w/MVC it in 3D. The Popcorn Hour A-400 with up-to-date firmware can play it too, but only in 2D for now.
moamoa wrote:I hope a tools comes soon. Preferably an option for handbrake! :)
First, libavcodec would need to make their H.264 decoder MVC-capable.
moamoa

Post by moamoa »

The Mede8er box looks ok, but a bit much for what I need. I'm looking for something with just HMDI out (to my projector) and digital audio out (to my amp) and either USB or SD for content. Something simple and cheap like that would be perfect if it just output mkv (mvc) in frame packed (not sbs) to my projector. I'm sure some of the many android tv boxes out there must be close to doing this, if not already doing it... just a case of finding one! :)

As for the popcorn playing the files, but in 2D. Everying think I plays an mkv seems to play them them in 2D, that seems to be not issue at all. But total pointless as 2D have never been an issue, it's 3D than seem to be the difficult bit.

I totally agree that as soon as libavcodec start to support mvc, we might see some tools that use it... but when? :)
ltm82

Post by ltm82 »

In my opinion it's a fight a losing battle. Mike Admin tells everytime that the features to extract the 3D it's seems only supported by Stereoscopics player. I don't understand because MakeMKV team (Mike Admin???) does not explain to the software house like Cyberlink or similar how to read this MKV 3D. Solving this incompatibility in my opinion is a good solution to sell more licences of MakeMkv.

I would like to know by Mike Admin his opinion about Stereoscopics player. In particular if Mike Admin considers the MKV 3D read by Stereoscopic player equal to original BD3D read by Powerdvd12 for example.

Another question is: How Does MakeMKV team (Mike Admin ???) make the test on the new version of MakeMKV. How do you compare the result between original support (Like BD3D ) and MKV 3D. What do they use?

Mike Could you please explain us?
moamoa

Post by moamoa »

To my understanding the mkv(mvc) made from makemkv is original full 3d hd quality, its a rip, not an encoding. Played back correctly it should be as good as the original blu-ray.

The issue is playback. Stereoscopic plays this file back in several ways. All the methods such as SBS (3840x1080) and Frame packed 1920x1080 should be perfect. The outputs where it will be SBS 1/2 width (so it keeps 1920x1080) will be a compromise in quality, and not really be of interest to me.

To get full HD 3D you need to buy Stereoscopic and more than probably a 3D vision license form Nvida to get Frame Packing to work properly in stereoscopic. That does not seem worth it to me. I think it would be better to spend about the same amount to get a Android based STB that can read the MVC file directly and play it. Plus you have all the other amazing functionality of the STB to play other stuff. Im going to go down this route I think, even it all I use the STB for is playing the ripped bluray in full 3d hd. Seems much better value than paying for Stereoscopic. It want be long before a MVC decoder appears in ffmpeg, then you see it appearing in VLC and the other free players anyway.

The bit I'm after is the handbrake part so I can reduce the file size and keep the quality (almost). I like to have control of this compromise. 40G per movie, is just a but more than I want.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

moamoa wrote:It want be long before a MVC decoder appears in ffmpeg, then you see it appearing in VLC and the other free players anyway.
MVC has been in the H.264 specification for 3 1/2 years now. And I don't know of any official plans to add MVC decoding support to libavcodec. There was an FFmpeg GSOC 2012 project, but it was not accepted (I don't know whether anyone applied for it, even).
wessongroup

Post by wessongroup »

Any update on this topic ... Using MKV and Handbrake (current) versions

Using a PS3 with a Vizio 3D display

Have all DVD's and Blu-ray's onto external HD's with external HD back up

Using Blu-ray Player software with the mac-mini for all disk's ... except 3D

Everything other than being able to access and play 3D using my mac-min using Bingo it's all good

Would just liike to have the 3D disks, also on my external HD and use the mac-mini to display the 3D content on the 3D Vizio using SOFTWARE to eliminate a "device" from my Home Entertainment system ... specifically the PS3

I don't play games :) :)
blucmal

Post by blucmal »

Also looking for a way to convert mvc3d to hsbs so I can view in gear vr
evertec

Post by evertec »

blucmal wrote:Also looking for a way to convert mvc3d to hsbs so I can view in gear vr
I've used BD3D2MK3D with good results on the gearvr. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=170828