Issue with Windows 7 PC reading certain Blu-Ray disks

Everything related to MakeMKV
mtnardi

Issue with Windows 7 PC reading certain Blu-Ray disks

Post by mtnardi »

Hi, I have a Lenovo TS140 (running windows 7 pro 64-bit) with a LiteOn iHES208 (shows in Windows as "ATAPI iHES208 2") that has of recently had issues reading and "viewing" certain Blu-Ray titles. I've ripped my entire DVD collection (approx 100ish) titles and worked on my Blu-Ray collection (maybe 50 movies) of which 99% work just fine. I was able to rip the UK version of the Harry Potter box set and many other US titles (note I'm in Region 1). But like I said lately, some Blu Ray titles just refuse to be read by windows. I'm not sure if this is a Windows issue, driver issue, or MakeMKV (doubtful) issue. The scenario goes as this: pop in the Blu Ray title, hear the drive spin up and try to read the disk, then it spins down and nothing happens. No autorun Windows executables pop up, the title/movie doesn't show in Windows Explorer and obviously, MakeMKV says there is no disk inserted. The last movies this has happened with include all 3 of the Back to the Future movies that came in the 4 disk box set (3 Blu Ray's 1 DVD special feature I think) and Casper Blu-Ray & Digial HD Ultraviolet. I have tried playing all of the movies in a HT BluRay player and they work just fine. Any pointers?
Woodstock

Re: Issue with Windows 7 PC reading certain Blu-Ray disks

Post by Woodstock »

Do the same disks have problems if you restart the computer and try again?

Sometimes Windows "forgets" about a disk change, so it reports "no disk" to MakeMKV and other applications.
mtnardi

Post by mtnardi »

Woodstock wrote:Do the same disks have problems if you restart the computer and try again?

Sometimes Windows "forgets" about a disk change, so it reports "no disk" to MakeMKV and other applications.
Forgot to add that to the original post, but yes, have restarted the PC after each failure to read and have received same results
wastedhalo

Post by wastedhalo »

I am having the same problem with the "Gods of Egypt" bluray. I've tried 3 different copies of the disc but my computer doesn't seem to recognize any of them and MakeMKV says there is no disc in the drive. I have continued to rip other blurays without issues. I can only guess that it's some new protection. There is no firmware update for my drive (ASUS BC-12B1ST) so I'm considering buying a new drive.
wastedhalo

Post by wastedhalo »

I replaced my drive with an LG WH16NS40. In my case the drive was the issue and I am now able to rip God of Egypt without issues, plus it was twice as fast as my old drive. :D
momorere

Post by momorere »

I just had this same problem with Gods of Egypt and a few other newer titles. Turns out that the highest supported version of AACS of my drive was 58. These discs seem to be v61 or higher. What is the highest supported version for your LG WH16NS40 ? Just start up MakeMKV and look at the right hand window. It would be EXTREMELY helpful to have some sort of running list of newer model drives and their highest supported version of AACS. It will also cut down on these types of threads repeatedly asking what the problem is as the version is constantly getting higher. I'm not sure how to get something like that going and sticky it so it will stay at the top in the list of threads.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I have several LG drives - the AACS level MakeMKV displays for a drive is the highest ENCOUNTERED, not the highest SUPPORTED. Actually, it's the highest MakeMKV has seen in that drive - it is possible for a drive to have been exposed to a higher AACS version than MakeMKV has seen.

LG drives work fine with AACSv62, now that MakeMKV supports it. That doesn't mean they might not have other problems (drives DO fail, sometimes).