How much longer is MakeMKV going to be in beta?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Cheddar

How much longer is MakeMKV going to be in beta?

Post by Cheddar »

Been in beta for years.
Woodstock

Re: How much longer is MakeMKV going to be in beta?

Post by Woodstock »

Personally, my vote would be "forever", but that's just me. Even though it's free to use while it's "in beta", I've already registered.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Cheddar

Post by Cheddar »

Why do you think forever? Something should not be in beta this long.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When something goes to "release" version, features are "locked in". Changes are only to fix bugs. An example is the project handbrake.... Their current release version does not have several features that are present in the "nightly build" versions, which represent the development leading up to their next release.... which could be a year away. The only thing done to the release branch is fix bugs.

In the case of MakeMKV, the whole problem set it addresses (ripping disks) changes often.

If, for some reason, you cannot live with the idea that a program can change quickly, and might have an unknown bug (or 50) in it, there ARE other products out there that are not calling themselves "beta". It does not make them more stable than MakeMKV, or that they're bug-free - just look at the operating system on your computer if you think "release" means "complete and perfect". :)

I'm sure Mike is aware of the stigma some place on the word "beta". Since I can't speak (or type) for him, I can just offer up my reasons for hoping MakeMKV stays "in beta"...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Cheddar wrote:Why do you think forever? Something should not be in beta this long.
Says who?
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
mrjast

Post by mrjast »

I don't have any opinion either way, just wanted to comment that releases can be much more frequent than with e.g. Handbrake. How long new features stay in a development/nightly branch is totally up to the maintainer(s). You could just as well have a more conservative approach to a "perpetual beta" program, or even maintain multiple branches with varying levels of stability.
electronicsguy

Post by electronicsguy »

Cheddar wrote:Why do you think forever? Something should not be in beta this long.
Sigh, another n00b who thinks 'beta' is somewhat bad. FYI: every software out there is in beta, whether you put that word there or no. that include windows, mac os, linux, android, that software that runs on planes, software in the ISS, etc.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Woodstock wrote:When something goes to "release" version, features are "locked in". Changes are only to fix bugs. An example is the project handbrake.... Their current release version does not have several features that are present in the "nightly build" versions, which represent the development leading up to their next release.... which could be a year away. The only thing done to the release branch is fix bugs.
Speaking of which - they've finally released a new version this week!