Version 2.0 - A good time to come out of beta?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Ant93

Version 2.0 - A good time to come out of beta?

Post by Ant93 »

The title says it all, I very much believe that by the time MakeMKV reaches version 2.0 that it should come out of beta, its been in beta ever since it first came out over 6 years ago!

I have never EVER come across software that has been in beta for this long!

So tell me, why has it been in beta for so long, will there ever be a 'stable' release, has Mike ever commented on this?
ndjamena

Re: Version 2.0 - A good time to come out of beta?

Post by ndjamena »

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

Theoretically, when it comes out of beta it won't be free anymore... does anyone really want that?

(as far as I can tell that will be the only difference... So I guess the question is, why do you object to a free beta key being posted on the forum?)
Ant93

Post by Ant93 »

Yeah I suppose you're right, it is probably the best free software for ripping DVD's/BD's into .mkv files, I did pay for it to show my support and to save me having to enter a new key into it every once in a while!

If it became purchase only software, it would probably end up like AnyDVD where a lot of people pirate it as they don't want to pay!
electronicsguy

Post by electronicsguy »

Ant93 wrote:The title says it all, I very much believe that by the time MakeMKV reaches version 2.0 that it should come out of beta, its been in beta ever since it first came out over 6 years ago!

I have never EVER come across software that has been in beta for this long!

So tell me, why has it been in beta for so long, will there ever be a 'stable' release, has Mike ever commented on this?
The word 'beta' is understood by noobs to be test software, not yet ready for prime time production machiens, blah blah. for geeks, its just a word. It (or its absence) doesn't mean anything. "windows" is not "beta". Does it continue to have bugs? - yes. So as with Mac OS, Ios, Android, etc. google called gmail as 'beta' for a long time, even though millions were using it.