PS3 > Mac > MakeMKV

Everything related to MakeMKV
RarefiedAir24

PS3 > Mac > MakeMKV

Post by RarefiedAir24 »

Good afternoon,

I have my PS3 configured to send my blu-rays to my Mac which it does fine, the end result on the Mac end is an ISO file.

With this ISO file, I start up MakeMKV but MKV then in returns gives me a message "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted"

I tried the post over at doom9 and I did find a key for superbad that worked great, but I'm currently trying to do X-Men 3, and the volume key I'm using from there is still generating the volume key message in MKV.

Is there a trick to applying the key? with Superbad all I did was copy the volume key, opened up TextEdit, pasted the info into TextEdit, saved it, placed it in a folder and linked MakeMKV AACS to the folder.. I am doing the same steps for X-Men but it just isn't accepting it..

Is there another method to using the volume key???

I'm at a complete mind loss as far as what to do next.. Thanks for any help/suggestions...
ragboy

Re: PS3 > Mac > MakeMKV

Post by ragboy »

I am unaware of making ISO from a PS3, but I know I make files that work perfect on my mac, and on my PS3. I use makemkv to rip from BR, then convert the highest quality audio to aac, so I end up with a mp4 with HP@4.1 level h.264 and a high quality AAC multichannel track. The only issue is films with subs, PS3 ignores SRT subtitles.

Sorry I can't help with the other issue.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Rarefiedair24

Hi!

I'm not a PS3 owner/user but:

Isn't there a sofware product for use with the PS3 ("SWAK" or something similar) that removes the encryption - or allows you to save a 100% ENCRYPTED (including Volume key) version from the BluRay before transferring to your Mac?

If not, and you intend to be backing up your BluRay discs on an ongoing basis, I'd suggest you get a BluRay drive for either your Mac or your PC (If you have one)...
RarefiedAir24

Post by RarefiedAir24 »

Set, I haven't heard of that one, I'll do a search for it and check it out..

I do intend to buy a blu-ray drive, but I wanted to test out see how effective makemkv was especially before I went out and invested in a drive and an enclosure to digitalize my blu-ray library... but from the looks of it I'll just have to suck it up..
ragboy

Post by ragboy »

I use makemkv on a mac. I have a 2008 mac pro and I installed a BR drive internally. You can find mac compatible BR drives, internal or external, at www.macsales.com. I have used them for many years, and have always found they don't sell hardware unless it is compatible with your mac. This is the one I have installed, works great.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/BDR205BKMP/
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Yep this is how I started out also, but I was doing the PS3 with the dd command to backup the Bluray to ISO on my Media PC. IT works out really well, minus the speed issues of the PS3's Bluray drive. But what you've come across is the same thing I did. And that MakeMKV work best (if not only) on the Direct drive and disc it self. But have no fear you can still achieve your goals, but not with MakeMKV or at least not in my experience. You'll need something that can decrypt the ISO with out the need for direct access to the drive/disc.

For this setup my dream team is AnyDVDHD & mkvmerge (or tsmuxer if you don't want a MKV file).
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@NomadCF

Hi!

"But have no fear you can still achieve your goals, but not with MakeMKV or at least not in my experience"

The goal of people posting in this forum is to, as beta testers, help in the development of MakeMKV, not to find or discuss ways to substitute other programs or means to make backup copies of BluRays...
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Feel free to ban then, if you've got the power. But do note that I wasn't talking down or bad about MakeMKV. But simply helping others.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@nomadCF
But simply helping others.
You should feel free to use PM or email for that...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

RarefiedAir24 wrote: Is there another method to using the volume key???
I'm at a complete mind loss as far as what to do next.. Thanks for any help/suggestions...
You need to know the volume key one way or another. MakeMKV will accept keys in any format, no need to edit keyfile. But you need to know a key, keydb.cfg at doom9 is a pretty big database. The above-mentioned competing product has its own keydb database that is bigger then public one at doom9 but it is still a database of per-disc keys and you will run into unreadable discs sooner or later without a real blu-ray drive.