Best way to edit the name field

Everything related to MakeMKV
administrator

Best way to edit the name field

Post by administrator »

Hello,

I make a copy of the first Captain America movie from BR and it lists on my Oppo as CA - Winter's Soldier (which is the second movie). Short of redoing the mkv is there a way to easily edit the field. I admit I'd like to rename many of them - particularly those that begin with The so my oppo sorts them by the film name. I tried to use MKVtoolnix but couldn't figure out how to do it without redoing the entire film. I'd prefer to just edit the field - like you can a music genre with an mp3 file.

Thanks

PS To be clear the name of the file is Captain_America_The_First_Avenger.mkv but when the oppo lists MKV files it doesn't list them by file name but by title.
Woodstock

Re: Best way to edit the name field

Post by Woodstock »

If you turn on Expert Mode (in the General tab for program preferences) in MakeMKV, you have more options for dealing with things like file names and meta data on your resulting MKV files. If you are not in expert mode, MakeMKV doesn't give you an opportunity to change the meta data.

Some players list files by the meta data, if available, rather than file name, simply because there are less limitations in what you can put in meta data.

You can edit the meta data with tools that area available - search for "mkvtoolnix" for one of the more popular ones.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
administrator

Post by administrator »

Thanks - I tried mkvtoolnix however from what I read there were 2 ways of fixing it. One remixes the file - not sure if I should be concerned and the other doesn't. I couldn't figure out to get the other way to work. If someone can walk me through that, I would appreciate it.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Open mmg, open header editor, open mkv, edit field, save.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
administrator

Post by administrator »

Chetwood wrote:Open mmg, open header editor, open mkv, edit field, save.
Thanks for helping!

It turns out the title looks right in header editor. I can't figure out why it is coming up with the wrong info for Captain America. I don't think the Oppo indexes or assigns any values on its own. I'll try to figure out what field it is using but it turns out it is not title under segment information.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Maybe it's not under title but under name? You an also verify with in Mediainfo.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
administrator

Post by administrator »

Chetwood wrote:Maybe it's not under title but under name? You an also verify with in Mediainfo.
THANKS for sticking in there.

The physical filename is Captain_America_The_First_Avenger.mkv

I have it open in header editor.
Segment information - segment filename - greyed out, along with next and previous
Video track 1 - name - the value field is greyed out.

As far as I can see it looks ok in MKVinfo.

I'll see if I can find anything on it in Mezzmo which is serving the files for streaming.
rexdragon

Post by rexdragon »

administrator wrote:
Chetwood wrote: It turns out the title looks right in header editor. I can't figure out why it is coming up with the wrong info for Captain America. I don't think the Oppo indexes or assigns any values on its own. I'll try to figure out what field it is using but it turns out it is not title under segment information.
The only way the oppo DOES NOT assign its own values to naming a file is if an app bypasses the oppo's programming. Just a suggestion but try turning off the gracenote service (in oppo's configuration menu) and see if that helps. IMHO, gracenote is only accurate 60% of the time anyways; I just leave it off. :)