Blu-Ray rips half resolution / Size

Everything related to MakeMKV
jctcom

Blu-Ray rips half resolution / Size

Post by jctcom »

Hello I downloaded MakeMKV a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I misunderstood but I thought that the Blu-Ray to MKV Rips were supposed to retain their original resolution / screen size.

Every Blu-Ray I have tried to backup seems to come out at about half size / Resolution.

I cannot seem to find any settings for resolution or screen size.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Carl.
setarip_old

Re: Blu-Ray rips half resolution / Size

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
That's because there are no such settings in MakeMKV, nor does MakeMKV do anything to change resolution or screensize.

If you're watching theBluRay video on a standalone player/HDTV setup, might you have possibly altered the setting of either the player or your HDTV?

If you play your original BluRay disc ON THE SAME SETUP as you played the one you made with MakeMKV, does it display differently?
tony55

Post by tony55 »

As said above MakeMKV has no such settings because it doesn't convert.It just puts the BR in the MKV container. You might want to run the resulting file through MediaInfo and compare that with the original. A sure sign that the file is not at half resolution would be the length of time it took to do the conversion. It takes a long time to do that kind of conversion (many hours) even on the fastest of computers.

So how long did it take to convert the BR to MKV and how big was the file compared to the origional?

Tony
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

setarip_old wrote:Hi!
That's because there are no such settings in MakeMKV, nor does MakeMKV do anything to change resolution or screensize.

If you're watching theBluRay video on a standalone player/HDTV setup, might you have possibly altered the setting of either the player or your HDTV?

If you play your original BluRay disc ON THE SAME SETUP as you played the one you made with MakeMKV, does it display differently?
I am playing back via my Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player which has network playback for MKV files. I have also tried copying the MKV file directly to a blank blu-ray disc for playback with the same results. When I play the original blu-ray disc it play normal and full screen. When I play other MKV's that I have downloaded they play normal and full screen.

Only the MKV's I made with makemkv from my original blu-rays play with large black bars on all four sides of the picture.

The original stream on the blu-ray disc is just under 22GB. The resulting MKV file is 18GB.

I don't know how long it took to convert it as I did not sit at the computer watching it. But I would say probably at least a couple of hours.

Carl
tony55

Post by tony55 »

Well, the size seems about right if some of the extras were removed. If you don't have MediaInfo download it. It's free and It will give a complete read out of the resulting file. Normally a BR to MKV conversion should take about 30-60 min even on a very slow computer.

Without a readout from MediaInfo it's hard to tell what your resulting file is.

Tony
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

Ok well you are right. Both Media info and VLC media player indicate that it is a 1920 X 1080 video resolution.

I will have to look further into my Oppo BDP-83 to try and figure out if there is a setting that is affecting these files but not other ones.

TTUL.

Carl.
jmerrilljr

Post by jmerrilljr »

This is a known OPPO issue. Last I heard they were looking into the problem.
Jacob b

Post by Jacob b »

jctcom wrote:Ok well you are right. Both Media info and VLC media player indicate that it is a 1920 X 1080 video resolution.

I will have to look further into my Oppo BDP-83 to try and figure out if there is a setting that is affecting these files but not other ones.

TTUL.

Carl.
Carl, did you ever sort this out?
I have the same problem - streamed mkv with 1080P content from blu-ray rip show in squeezed 4:3 rather than 16:9 on my OPPO 83.
Any links to OPPO 83 threads discussing this?

cheers
jctcom

Post by jctcom »

Jacob b wrote:
jctcom wrote:Ok well you are right. Both Media info and VLC media player indicate that it is a 1920 X 1080 video resolution.

TTUL.

Carl.
Carl, did you ever sort this out?
I have the same problem - streamed mkv with 1080P content from blu-ray rip show in squeezed 4:3 rather than 16:9 on my OPPO 83.
Any links to OPPO 83 threads discussing this?

cheers
I guess I am waiting for a firmware update on the Oppo to fix the problem as I have played the files on a few other devices and they seem to play fine on those.

Carl.