A Question for anyone who converts TV Shows with MakeMKV...

Everything related to MakeMKV
ndjamena

A Question for anyone who converts TV Shows with MakeMKV...

Post by ndjamena »

What do you Name them?

I name my TV Shows as such "Transformers (1986) - 02x29 - The Secret of Omega Supreme" and MakeMKV writes that name into the Segment Title. After a hopeless attempt with MetaX I've begun writing proper MKV tags into my MKVs using MKVPropEdit. Until recently MediaInfo has been using the Segment Title as the 'Name' of the video but in the most recent update the level 50 Matroska Tag has begun overriding that name. The Level 50 Tag is supposed to hold just the Episode metadata (The Secret of Omega Supreme), with the Level 60 Tag holding the Season metadata (ie 02) and the Level 70 Tag holding the TV Show metadata (ie Transformers (1986)). The way I've been using the Segment Title is different from how the Level 50 tag supposed to be used, yet several programs are using them interchangeably. I've posted on the MediaInfo forum about this issue and the program will revert until the full tags are properly implemented, but ultimately Jerome wants to hide the Segment Title in it's entirety when a level 50 tag exists in a file. I'm wondering if I've being doing something wrong, what do other people 'Name' their TV shows? If MakeMKV is going to automatically copy the 'Name' into the File Name, calling them simply by their episode name would make sorting the resulting MKVs rather difficult, but the alternative is to explicitly enter both the File Name and Episode Name for every rip. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

(BTW, I've been using the Segment Header as my primary means of identifying my videos, and this change in MediaInfo has broken some of my processes.)
Carnage

Re: A Question for anyone who converts TV Shows with MakeMKV

Post by Carnage »

i do not know if this helps but for me I just do several at a time and rename with copy/paste with edit on episode number...ie
tvshow_S01_E01
tvshow_S01_E02

when i play back in either plex or xmbc the scraper names them for me so I know which is which.

there is a potential problem (found out by trial/error)
say the shows normally are for example 45 min runtime but you have one that is 1 hr 30 min
you may have to check the episode listings (not just the box) since it may have been a part 1 and part 2 of the show (talking about air time play originally on tv) but the tv show dvd editors may have combined them for ease of watching for the viewer. In this case I just had to skip one episode so when the scrapper went to name them in the program (plex/xmbc) it didn't name out of order
example
tvshow_S01_E01 (runtime 45 min)
tvshow_S01_E02 (runtime 1 hr 30 min)
tvshow_S01_E04 (runtime 45 min)

did this because by airdate episode 2 & 3 were 45 min part1&2 on different dates but by dvd they combinded into one episode. When i named first time without skiping all my episode names where off by one. when back and skiped one episode and all were named right.

I hope this helps.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I kind of do that too sometimes. When I feel like it I just name a show TVShow 01x01, MakeMKV copies the name as the file name and I rip, then when I've ripped an entire series I point MediaCenterMaster at the directory and get it to rename them. But then I have a batch file that will copy the file name back into the Segment Title, prompting me to replace possible non-file system characters. I'm guessing most people don't care what's in the Segment Title, but when a program doesn't get episode info from the web, it'll generally show the Segment Title instead. I'm beginning to add tags as well and the Segment title and the tags are clashing...

The Matroska Website describes the Segment Title as containing "General name of the segment."

What does that mean? I guess I'm just confused about what exactly is supposed to be in there, and why players are using The Segment Title and Level 50 (Episode) tag interchangeably.
macseven77

Post by macseven77 »

I label mine as tvshow - S01E01 - episode name
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

So basically we're all adding the long episode name, including TVShow/Season#/Episode#, into the Segment Title and therefore, according to the users of MakeMKV, programs really shouldn't be using the Segment Title and Level 50 Tag interchangeably. That's what I wanted to know.