Sudden Rip speed change

Everything related to MakeMKV
prisoner642

Sudden Rip speed change

Post by prisoner642 »

Hello,

I tried to see if this has been asked but couldn't find it.

I was getting rip speeds of 7 to 10x for DVD's. Then suddenly it would drop to 1.7x This has happened now on 3 computers. It seems like it happens at a random time. One computer now uses 100% of CPU and will only rip at 1.7x to 2x where it used to rip at 7x.

Has anyone seen this?
Woodstock

Re: Sudden Rip speed change

Post by Woodstock »

Rip speeds can vary quite widely. They'll vary across the tracks on a single DVD or BD, because the outer tracks can be read at a higher bit rate for the same rotational speed. Errors that need to be corrected by taking multiple passes on a track can "invisibly" slow things down.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
prisoner642

Post by prisoner642 »

I understand that. However that is not the problem. The speed for a disc was up to 10x. I ripped about 100 discs ranging from 4x to 10x. The best I ever got was 15x.

But now the max is 2x no matter what the disc. Even ones that riped at 10x are now caped at 2x. I am trying to determine if this is a software issue or a hardware issue. On one computer it now max's at 2x and uses 100% of CPU so I can't do anything while ripping. On this machine it happened when I upgraded 1.8.7 to 1.8.8. But I don't think the upgrade was the problem. As the same thing happened on an other computer while using 1.8.7. I am not sure what the trigger was on the system. My latest computer is now doing the same thing. It ripped fine with 1.8.7 and 1.8.8, but when I tried to use Handbrake while ripping a disc, this limit kicked in. So what was 4-7x is now maxed at 1.4 to 2x.

Does any one know what might have been activated to cause the speed limit?
prisoner642

Post by prisoner642 »

Ok new test. I read about rip lock. So I downloaded and flashed the firmware for my drive. No effect on the rip speed. Still stuck at 0.5 to 1.7x for the drive. But at least now I could go region free if I want.

I will test makemkv using files saved on the hard disk versus files directly off a disc to see if any difference. I wonder if something else could have been activated.
prisoner642

Post by prisoner642 »

This is an interesting problem. I confirmed last night that its not MakeMKV. Ripping from disc was 1.5 to 2x and used 100% CPU. Ripping same from Hard disc was 12x to 18x using 30-80% CPU (Mostly 50% CPU).

All my systems are windows XP.

Summary: flashing the firmware on the drive to remove Riplock, did nothing and the problems seems to only be when ripping from a disc in the DVD drive.

I tried to look for a program that popped up quickly when starting the disc rip, but couldn't really see anything. There must be something in windows that is causing this.

Anyone have ideas?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Well, when you add in Windows, you're opening a whole new can of worms.... :)

Possible suspects:

Change in antivirus software. Is it trying to scan stuff as it comes off the optical drive?
Change in driver for optical drive. Any recent Windows updates or driver updates?
Change in Media Player configuration. Is Media Player (or something similar) trying to "open" the disk at the same time MakeMKV is?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jurgenk

Post by jurgenk »

What is using 100% cpu? It is the ripping program, or some other antivirus thing doing stuff? That would be the answer to your question I think. (Use the Task Manager to see CPU%/process)
JETmn

Post by JETmn »

I have this same exact problem. I was ripping 8x+ on everything (300+ rips) and once I upgraded to 1.8.8 I am now capped at 2.0x exactly. My drive is a newer LG and goes into "fast" mode above 2.0 where it gets noisier, but it never does that any more. After a system shutdown one time I got it go to full speed, but that is the only time since the software upgrade. It definitely has something to do with 1.8.8+ as it happened immediately when I upgraded. Any ideas guys? I can get it to transfer files fast from CD in Windows 7, so it is not the drive.