Question on Power 90 DVD Rip

Everything related to MakeMKV
simscj2000

Question on Power 90 DVD Rip

Post by simscj2000 »

I am attempting to rip my copy of Power 90 exercise DVD (pre-cursor to P90X) so that I can stream the routines from my PC to my Roku. On the original DVD, the menu first asks which routine you want to do (there are only 2). After selecting that option, the next screen asks if you want to play the video with or without music in the background.

I don't ever listen to the music, so I am hoping to separately rip each of the 2 routines without background music into separate MP4 files. I went through MakeMKV and it created the video files but only with the background music. Is there a way to create it without the music overlay?

Thanks for any comments or help!
simscj2000

Re: Question on Power 90 DVD Rip

Post by simscj2000 »

While I'm waiting, let's see if I'm on the right track. I am using Handbrake to create the MP4. Within Handbrake, I selected the Audio tab and I deleted the 2nd audio source that was showing as codec AC3 pass through.

I know I'm really asking a Handbrake question here...so I guess I'm asking if the answer to my original question is that I handle the audio manipulation somewhere other than MakeMKV.

Thanks again.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

If I'm understanding correctly the routines on the DVD have two audio streams that are selected from the menu. Assuming they're both parts of the same titles you should have been given multiple audio streams to choose from when you ripped it with MakeMKV. Otherwise it's possible there were two versions of each routine on the disc, in which case you ripped the wrong one. Either way, if you really have MKVs with ONLY the music track then you need to re-rip the disc and find the correct audio stream, it's not possible to simply remove the music from an audio stream, it's either there or it's not. If what you have has the music then it's the wrong track, period, and you'll never get anything else from it.

If I remember correctly Handbrake adds the first audio stream twice by default, once as AAC and once as AC3, although you may be using a different profile. If this is the case then removing the AC3 pass-through will get you nowhere, in any case, if you're convinced you have ONLY the music track then you must have played it so that's obviously the first/default audio stream, if there's more than one audio stream then you really ought to remove the first rather than the second to get the non-music track.
simscj2000

Post by simscj2000 »

Thanks for the response. Well, you were correct in that it did me no good to remove the audio track from within Handbrake. I'm back to MakeMKV now and will try again from there.

This time I expanded the audio section from within MakeMKV and saw 2 audio sections, so I deselected the second stream and am creating the MKV file. I am taking the trial and error approach as I don't know how I would determine the specifics of where the audio track is located. Do you think I will get anywhere with that approach (i.e. will I eventually find the audio stream)?
simscj2000

Post by simscj2000 »

Strike 2...the background music is still there after deselecting the second audio trak in MakeMKV.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

ndjamena wrote:...if there's more than one audio stream then you really ought to remove the first rather than the second to get the non-music track.
tch, quoting myself...

Edit: you could have found a way to select the second audio stream from within handbrake... It's been a while since I've used it.
Last edited by ndjamena on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simscj2000

Post by simscj2000 »

Sorry for missing that the first time....that did the trick, thanks for your help!
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

simscj2000 wrote:Thanks for the response. Well, you were correct in that it did me no good to remove the audio track from within Handbrake. I'm back to MakeMKV now and will try again from there.

This time I expanded the audio section from within MakeMKV and saw 2 audio sections, so I deselected the second stream and am creating the MKV file. I am taking the trial and error approach as I don't know how I would determine the specifics of where the audio track is located. Do you think I will get anywhere with that approach (i.e. will I eventually find the audio stream)?
Or just rip it, play it with VLC to see which audio stream is which, and then pick the right one in Handbrake.

SC
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I went through MakeMKV and it created the video files but only with the background music.
Otherwise I would have said exactly the same thing.