New User Needs Help

Everything related to MakeMKV
Smudge

New User Needs Help

Post by Smudge »

Hi,
I've been a DVDFab user for many years, but just couldn't stomach how ridiculous their pricing has gotten. So...long story short I decided to switch to MAKEMKV. I just finished ripping a disk I have of Percy Jackson Sea of Monsters and here is where the problem comes in. When I went to the output folder there are tons of .mkv files in there instead of just one. Maybe it's because I'm used to DVDFab, but I was expecting there to be one .mkv movie file when I was done. What am I doing wrong?

Oh yes, and this was a Bluray not a normal DVD.

Thanks,
Smudge
ndjamena

Re: New User Needs Help

Post by ndjamena »

MakeMKV searches the disc and automatically selects all tracks over 120 seconds long (or however long it's set in preferences). It's up to you to uncheck the tracks you don't want. Any attempt to automate the process could wind up ripping the wrong tracks and supporting the decision logic would be messy and better suited to a front-end than the main MakeMKV program.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Really? Using conversion profiles this works just fine for me.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something obvious. Please inform me of the infallible nature of these conversion profiles! (Bearing in mind, we're talking about the main MakeMKV program, which isn't allowed to guess. Then people could complain and expect Mike to do something about it - think target file size in Handbrake.)

(I'm in sarcastic mode at the moment, to many problems...)
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Grrr, now you've got me searching the settings for 'Conversion Profiles'!
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

I finally realised what 'Conversion Profiles' were, the MakeMKV GUI just calls them 'Profiles'. The OP wanted an option that would choose which titles to rip, as far as I'm aware conversion profiles are limited to selecting just tracks (which can be done just as well in preferences). By the way, my profile that I've been using for months is called 'PCMFLAC', it converts all PCM tracks to flac and compresses subtitles with ZLib. I convert DTS-MA and TrueHD to FLAC later with EAC3TO, in case it's really 16 bit in there. If there's really an option to select titles in there I must have missed it and would be happy to have it explained to me.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

ndjamena wrote:If there's really an option to select titles in there I must have missed it and would be happy to have it explained to me.
Well, above you did not write 'titles' but 'tracks':
ndjamena wrote:It's up to you to uncheck the tracks you don't want.
and that's what I was referring to. I use my conversion profile to unselect all but German and English tracks and sort them automatically.
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

OK then, I used the wrong word. Ti-tle, two syllables, both hard. My brain just went with something easier (it does that).

But still:
MakeMKV searches the disc and automatically selects all tracks over 120 seconds long
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Given the ways BDs can be authored there's simply no foolproof way to automate ripping. Even if a higher minimum title length yields only one title, it's still possible you get some unwanted audio description track or else.