MKV editor to fade out video?

Everything related to MakeMKV
OliverTwist

MKV editor to fade out video?

Post by OliverTwist »

Does anyone know of a simple editor to apply the most basic fade out (not fade in/out simultaneously but optional in *or* out fx) to an MKV video and outputting as a lossless MKV file?

On the recommendation of someone on the forum, I downloaded mkvmerge GUI v.6.4.1 and figure out how to use it to extract chapters and trim video files.

Now I'd like to figure out how to fade in or out from chapters that I've separated.

Thanks!!
crowfax

Re: MKV editor to fade out video?

Post by crowfax »

Doing a fade requires re-encoding, which is outside the scope of MakeMKV.

It would also not be a lossless process.

Adobe Premiere Pro does the kind of work you are looking for.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
OliverTwist

Post by OliverTwist »

Thank you, crowfax.

Unfortunately, Premiere Pro is the one Adobe software that I don't have!
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

For a simple fade-out, surely Premiere Elements and/or iMovie would suffice? There should also be some free alternatives…
TheDavii

Post by TheDavii »

OliverTwist wrote:Does anyone know of a simple editor to apply the most basic fade out (not fade in/out simultaneously but optional in *or* out fx) to an MKV video and outputting as a lossless MKV file?
On the recommendation of someone on the forum, I downloaded mkvmerge GUI v.6.4.1 and figure out how to use it to extract chapters and trim video files.
Now I'd like to figure out how to fade in or out from chapters that I've separated.
Have you considered OpenShot? It is open source and they have a "live" bootable disc that you can use (e.g., edit your files) and then get back to whatever O/S you're using (because you didn't specify).

Good luck!
OliverTwist

Post by OliverTwist »

Thanks so much, I'm not familiar with OpenShot but I'll look into it. I'm running Windows Vista btw.

I'll give it a shot and report back!

Thanks again