Couple MakeMKV ideas / questions

Everything related to MakeMKV
bruce

Couple MakeMKV ideas / questions

Post by bruce »

It seems MakeMKV is designed for making backups of actual discs but I've been using it to convert some .ISO, BDMV, and VIDEO_TS folders/files that I have. It's really nice migrating everything to a simple easy to use single .mkv file.

In doing this for about 450 folders a couple of features that I've wished existed are.
1 - Add a Destination Folder setting of "Source Folder" or "Same as Source" or something. So I can have it default to writing the new file into the same directory.

2 - Ability to default the new filename to be based on the foldername if no title exists, to help avoid title01.mkv type files.

3 - Many of my movies have multiple "English" sets, or sets of other languages. I've learned that often one set is the full subtitles and the other set is the "only subtitles for foreign languages". I'm not sure if there's anyway to display more information like that in the MakeMKV window. Does the Bluray structure provide any hints to what each "English" subtitle is for? That way I could name each set with something more understandable.

4 - Many movies have multiple "main movie" titles. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right but some movies, like a say, 30gb file, will have two 24.5GB titles and sometimes one is a directors cut or something but sometimes I can't tell any difference and I'm not sure why there are multiples and if I should be saving one, the other, or both? I guess this is more a question then a feature idea :) On a couple movies this was from them being 3D disc and some of those have 3 title sets. How do I know which is the main set and which are the 3D sets?

5 - Just like the multiple title sets. Some movies have several English (or other) audio sets that are the same type of audio and I cannot tell any difference between them. I'm not sure which one I should be keeping, or keeping both?.

A side note :) I do enjoy your product and I fully intend to purchase a copy because it's already be well worth it to me. I do plan to try and integrate it with XBMC for playing discs directly but I haven't done that yet. But, making it work will with XBMC would be a big plus to me as well :)
bruce

Re: Couple MakeMKV ideas / questions

Post by bruce »

Also, some folders with playable .m2ts files will not load with MakeMKV. Currently I've just been skipping them. But should I provide any debug information on these cases?

Also, another feature request :) would be to allow opening a single .m2ts file itself and remuxing it to a mkv file using MakeMKV. If there's a way to do this I apologize. I've tried opening some and it doesn't seem to even display .m2ts files in the browser list.
bruce

Re: Couple MakeMKV ideas / questions

Post by bruce »

Another thing :) I keep thinking of stuff I've thought of over the last week.

It would be nice to be able to right-click on a file and open it with MakeMKV. I've tried to do that with the windows "Open with" command but then MakeMKV opens up without loading the file.