Multi-Region Ripping Failure

Everything related to MakeMKV
teuchterloon

Multi-Region Ripping Failure

Post by teuchterloon »

Hi folks,

I'm hoping the problem I have is easily fixed and I haven't wasted money.

I just bought a Region A blu-ray (it's only available in Region A) of Taylor Swift's "Journey To Fearless". I want to rip it to my server and saw a thread on here (before I bought the disc) stating it is possible to rip discs from other regions with this program. I just updated to v1.8.0 and put my new disc in and it fails every time.

My taste in music aside, what is my problem? Do I have to do some kind of hack to get MakeMKV to rip other region discs?

My drive is an LG CH10LS20 if that makes any difference, and I can rip Region B discs with no problems.

Please help.
ryanjk333

Re: Multi-Region Ripping Failure

Post by ryanjk333 »

What error message do you get? Could just be a faulty disc, even though it's new.
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
teuchterloon

Post by teuchterloon »

It reads the disc fine and shows me the titles I can select. After selecting and clicking the Make MKV icon it looks likt it tries to rip the disc for a few seconds before telling me "Copy complete. 0 titles saved, 1 failed".

I enabled logging and I have found two files; MakeMKV_Log and .tgz file. I've attached them both if they're of any use... ?

I don't have any other Region A discs to try in it's place - all my discs are Region B.
Attachments
MKB_v25_Taylor_Swift_Journey_To_Fearless_64F0.tgz
(14.7 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
MakeMKV_log.txt
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This error has nothing to do with disc region. It looks like a data corruption (or a bizarre mastering error). Please make a full disc backup first, and see if any hash-check errors show up. If they do - it's a failing disc. If not, please try making MKV from a backup, and if it still fails then submit a test dump per /onlinehelp/testdump.html . The error happens when processing subtitles, so de-selecting subtitle track might be a workaround.
teuchterloon

Post by teuchterloon »

Data corruption, eh? Not good... I'll give it a go without subtitles and see how I get on. Failing that I'll try making a back-up and take it from there.

Thanks for looking into it for me :-)
teuchterloon

Post by teuchterloon »

Well... I am trying ripping without subtitles and it is attempting to rip. Unfortunately, it's going to take 10 hours!!!
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Sounds like a bad disc.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
teuchterloon

Post by teuchterloon »

Yeah, I managed to rip it but it won't play with anything; Windows Media Player, MPC-HC, VLC... The disc must be faulty.
sixin

Post by sixin »

I doubt it's your disc. I have the same exact problem with this particular blu-ray.