Since Last Update, Can No Longer Do Full Disk Backup

Everything related to MakeMKV
tomchak

Since Last Update, Can No Longer Do Full Disk Backup

Post by tomchak »

I dont' know if I'm missing something because I don't see anybody else posting about this problem, but after upgrading to version 1.8.0 I can no longer backup full DVD's. The option is there on the screen, but it's un-clickable and grayed out. I am not using a demo version, and have the program registered.

Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks.

Tom
Smithcraft

Re: Since Last Update, Can No Longer Do Full Disk Backup

Post by Smithcraft »

I was under the impression that MakeMKV never did full backups of DVDs. Only Blurays.

SC
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Correct - "Backup" is a BD-only option. I've been using MakeMKV since 1.5.6, and there has never been a backup option for a DVD.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tomchak

Post by tomchak »

OK, sorry I assumed it was obvious that I was using a BRD since that's what the program works with and I mentioned the feature had worked previously. I used "DVD" generically just meaning the disc, my bad.

To restate it, prior to the 1.8 release I would use it to create a full backup of the disk. Now the button is disabled. I'm able to convert titles as always, but what I really want is a full disk backup.

Is this a bug or is the feature now disabled for some reason?
tomchak

Post by tomchak »

Is there a support email address I could send this question to? I can't find one anywhere in the help file, on the website or support pages.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

tomchak wrote:OK, sorry I assumed it was obvious that I was using a BRD since that's what the program works with and I mentioned the feature had worked previously. I used "DVD" generically just meaning the disc, my bad.
Well, when you start out with "... I can no longer backup full DVD's", we have to take you at your word.... ;) Especially since the topic of "why can't we back up DVDs?" has come up in the past.

What are your symptoms? The icons have certainly changed a bit between 1.7.x and 1.8.x, but when I insert a BD, the "Backup" icon on the tool bar becomes clickable, and prompts for a directory to back the disk up to.

Do you get the option to Open the BD (main icon becomes clickable)?

As for support via email, I don't know that it will work any better than the forum, since this IS the official support channel. But, support @ makemkv.com is a valid address, which I have used in the past to submit IFO files and logs.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
tomchak

Post by tomchak »

It's just as I said, the backup icon is dimmed out and does not respond to any clicks. I've tried with several BRD's and get the same result.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

tomchak wrote:It's just as I said, the backup icon is dimmed out and does not respond to any clicks. I've tried with several BRD's and get the same result.
What OS are you using? Please send a screen-shot of the main screen (with disc inserted and backup icon greyed out) to support@makemkv.com with a link to this topic.
tomchak

Post by tomchak »

Well, of course now it's working again. Yesterday I was all set to take screen shots and show you what it was doing, but the button actually worked this time. Tried again today with another disk, and that worked fine too.

So I guess problem solved for the moment. If it returns I will send screen shots to the support email address.

Thanks for reaching out.

Tom