MakeMKV price?

Everything related to MakeMKV
marcusj0015

MakeMKV price?

Post by marcusj0015 »

I'm VERY confused, you say that the time-limited but fully-functional beta of MakeMKV will last for 60 days, yet you ALSO say that you can download an updated version of it to reset the clock, so does/will MakeMKV cost anything? Hell, I can't even find a "buy" page anywhere.

Also, do the keys ever expire? $50 seems a little steep to be paying every couple of years...
Last edited by marcusj0015 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smithcraft

Re: MakeMKV price?

Post by Smithcraft »

Yes, the purchase link is a bit hard to find, but you can purchase either through the app, or from the link in my sig.

The beta has to be time limited because of new DRM systems that can render a BD drive useless until a new version of MakeMKV comes out.

SC
marcusj0015

Post by marcusj0015 »

Smithcraft wrote:Yes, the purchase link is a bit hard to find, but you can purchase either through the app, or from the link in my sig.

The beta has to be time limited because of new DRM systems that can render a BD drive useless until a new version of MakeMKV comes out.

SC
Hmm, that's interesting, if you don't mind me asking, what about the BD drives requires a beta/time limit/ updated version?

Also, the keys work forever right? I just saw that the beta key has an expiration and logically concluded that purchased keys may have a time limit as well.
ryanjk333

Post by ryanjk333 »

I can tell you that the key you buy for $50 will be good for the life of MakeMKV. It never expires!

As for the DRM, there are supposedly some new blu rays that, when inserted into a blu ray drive, update the protection on that drive and cause it to become useless for ripping until MakeMKV is updated to compensate for that particular new version of the DRM. Someone can probably explain the details better than me though, as I've never encountered the problem for myself. Whatever the lastest version of MakeMKV is, it always just works for me! :)
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200
marcusj0015

Post by marcusj0015 »

How does each disc know that it's being ripped? very interesting stuff! and if the firmware writes that a disc has been read, when does the log become full? afterall, the ROM is only so big (usually something like 2MBs)

Does the drive report that it's been used to rip, invalidating our keys?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Bluray drives are required to maintain a list of revoked keys. Disks, like Total Recall, can update that list, rendering the revoked keys, well, revoked and unusable.

If you've tried ripping one of these disks, older versions of MakeMKV may stop working on ANY BD, because the drive won't allow it. Versions older than 1.7.9 are useless to anyone who has tried ripping Total Recall. Newer versions use a different key, that isn't revoked.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
marcusj0015

Post by marcusj0015 »

Woodstock wrote:Bluray drives are required to maintain a list of revoked keys. Disks, like Total Recall, can update that list, rendering the revoked keys, well, revoked and unusable.

If you've tried ripping one of these disks, older versions of MakeMKV may stop working on ANY BD, because the drive won't allow it. Versions older than 1.7.9 are useless to anyone who has tried ripping Total Recall. Newer versions use a different key, that isn't revoked.
Oh, so basically the list in the drive is updated, if it contains that drives key, the drive won't allow itelf to read the disc... I wonder how the stampers know which drives to block? Looks like I'm off to read some technical papers! Thanks.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No, the drive contains the MKB list. Those MKB's are player keys. That's what gets revoked. AACS is a very complicated algorithm. It's not a simple "here's the key, now decrypt" mechanism. It involves several layers of keys and decryption to ultimately find the title key to decrypt a specific disc. There's information read by the drive from the original disc (that can't be copied onto a copy of that disc either in ISO or physical burn) that is combined with the player key to decrypt the title key. I'll let you think it through to understand what MakeMKV is using to decrypt. If the player keys are revoked and MakeMKV stops working when a new revocation list is published (as we saw on Total Recall), well.... :)
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

mike admin wrote:
iyyy69 wrote:Now my assumption is that it's a coincidence - that either MakeMKV "broke" itself in the last couple days and TR just happened to be the first disc I tried... OR that MakeMKV needs AACS v35 support for TR, and when it didn't find it (using 1.7.71), it broke itself somehow. There's no way that MakeMKV attempting to open a specific BR disc can actual break a BR drive or corrupt something, is there?
You've just experienced a fascinating "feature" of AACS called certificate revocation. Every Blu-ray disc contains a file that has a list of keys known to be used by "unauthorized" software. This list has a version number. The moment you insert the disc into your drive, the drive checks if the list is newer than the one it knows about, and if it is, the drive re-flashes itself (updates firmware). Total Recall has AACS v35 - the moment you've inserted the disc into the drive all versions of MakeMKV earlier than 1.7.8 permanently stopped working with this drive.

This revocation process happens the moment you insert the disc into drive - MakeMKV or any other software is out of the picture.
SC