Professional comparison...

Everything related to MakeMKV
Opentoe

Professional comparison...

Post by Opentoe »

I'm looking to buy makeMKV or DVDFab. MakeMKV is $50 and DVDFab is $60. MakeMKV can only output to MKV, but DVDFab has a sleu of different options it can output to. Is MakeMKV a better solution for creating MKV's from DVD's, BD's, etc? When MakeMKV is running do I need to run AnyDVD also? Just looking for some honest feedback. I do like the simplicity of this software, but seeing how DVDFab has so many options, features it throws me back a bit. Any feedback??

Thanks!
Bionic71

Re: Professional comparison...

Post by Bionic71 »

If we're speaking lifetime upgrades?
MakeMKV is offered such & offered multiplatform.

DVDFab DVD Ripper 75.60 USD $ (Windows)
DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper 105.60 USD $ (Windows)

Then adhere

DVDFab DVD Ripper 75.60 USD $ (Mac)
DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper 105.60 USD $ (Mac)

Totaling: 362.40 USD $ (+ VAT)

For extra slew of features why not head for their bundle Win/Mac Lifetime 598.00 USD $ (+ VAT: 95.48 USD $)

New tabs of DVDFab features added every year (at extra cost of course..)

I have a license for DVDFab so shall not complain that much but if you need those so called extra features it's up to you deciding.

$50.00 for MakeMKV is cheap, price could only go upwards :wink:

MKV's from DVD's, BD's -> Yes, I think MakeMKV is the better option... Yes, I to like the simplicity MakeMKV offers.

You can trial both programs :wink: ... then make up your mind.
Bionic71

Post by Bionic71 »

Posted on Fabbers FB wall recently..
Hey, DVDFabbers, we recently adjusted our sales price, in a slight manner. In order to benefit more population, this time, we decided to cut down the sales price of DVD Copy and DVD Ripper. The new price for DVD Copy/DVD Ripper is just $ 45 for one year licence and $ 68 for lifetime. We slightly increased the price of All-In-One Lifetime Gift from $299 to $ 319, just a $ 20 up, but included the newly released two products, DVD Creator and Blu-ray Creator. Fair enough! And the sales price for Blu-ray related products remained the same, despite the fact that more and more research and investment were put into the projects in recent years, and that the labor cost was increasing drastically.
There's the price increase for their new added tabs - Multiplatform Win/Mac with extra slew of features now equals 638.00 USD $ (Total VAT: 101.86 USD)
---
How their price setting benefits a greater population beats me :?:
Backing up your DVD's is a feature which is free with MakeMKV, even after Beta for what I understand.
If you now need to transcode your backups there are certanly better options such as HandBrake/VidCoder as they have a higher degree of control, they're free of charge.
gerall

Post by gerall »

i have a q: is there a difference in audio or video quality between using dvdfab to "copy" to a folder or using makmkv to rip? I tried both for the star wars bluray and it appears that the folder is a slightly better picture, but that may be in my mind. using mpc to play.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The quality of an MKV should match the source disk, since the unencrypted data is the same. Where there might be an issue is if the player is screwed up; The Uebo media players are a good example. They advertise that they can handle PGS subtitles, but that is ONLY if they are in an unencrypted M2TS file (i.e., MakeMKV BD Backup); it can't handle them in an MKV file. Data is the same, just a limitation of the software.

But, the audio and video quality is the same between sources.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
twa000

Post by twa000 »

Opentoe wrote:I'm looking to buy makeMKV or DVDFab. MakeMKV is $50 and DVDFab is $60. MakeMKV can only output to MKV, but DVDFab has a sleu of different options it can output to. Is MakeMKV a better solution for creating MKV's from DVD's, BD's, etc? When MakeMKV is running do I need to run AnyDVD also? Just looking for some honest feedback. I do like the simplicity of this software, but seeing how DVDFab has so many options, features it throws me back a bit. Any feedback??

Thanks!
I seem to have been using Makemkv for an eternity (like it being a free ?) and it just works, support and incremental improvements have always been good... so much so that I actually paid for it :D
I also have Anydvd but have not used it for a long time........ there is no need with Makemkv.
I only rip to MKV as it it the best format for my media player (HDI Dune), so nice and simple and no need any complexity with endless options.

Like life, keep it simple and leave complexity to other people :!: