Is this possible with MakeMKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Mugen80

Is this possible with MakeMKV?

Post by Mugen80 »

I would like to make a single MKV file from a blu-ray movie that has a working menu structure, if so then how? I found a MKV file for a movie that had a working menu structure, so I know that it is possible. Trying to find information on how to do this is really aggravating.

Thank you in advance!
Chetwood

Re: Is this possible with MakeMKV?

Post by Chetwood »

Any link to this? Haven't seen any in the wild so far.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Mugen80

Post by Mugen80 »

I dont have a link to the file but it was an MKV file for the Green Lantern movie. The movie played and started into the normal menu, I was able to change spoken languages from the menu.
I dont know how much work this is but I am willing to learn and put in the effort. When I stream files to devices that are running XBMC, there is no way to change audio tracks or subtitle tracks. Hence the need for working menus. I would also like to retain commentary tracks.

Thanks guys.
SidebandSamurai

Post by SidebandSamurai »

Ok, slightly off topic but to answer your question, YES you can change the audio tracks as well as turn off subtitles in XBMC.

The method you ware thinking of is not MKV but .ISO, MakeMKV does not make ISO's of files only pulls the selected video and audio stream you have selected.

There are other software out there that will create an .iso file for you. DVDFAB is one such software at www.dvdfab.com. I also believe that there is some compression of the video and audio stream (I believe its slight).

Please consult the XBMC forums for operational instructions on that software. It is really easy to change.

Sincerely,

--Sideband Samurai
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

I also can't imagine why the usual remote keys in XBMC should be unavailable while streaming. I'm pretty sure you can cycle through audio/subtitle streams.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
SidebandSamurai

Well this does appear to be an XBMC issue not an makemkv issue. For me, I use a wireless mouse/keyboard combo. In place of the 10-key is a finger pad to control the mouse. I usually use the mouse to control most things in XBMC using the transparancy! skin.

-- Sideband Samurai
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Mugen80

Hi!

Unless something has changed VERY RECENTLY, MKV/Matroska is still not capable of directly supporting active menus. Please examine the file carefully, to determine if it is in fact a standard MKV file or, perhaps, something else that is supporting active menus...
Mugen80

Post by Mugen80 »

Thanks for the quick replies.

I am running XMBC on an Apple TV, and I may have missed something but I can not find a way to change the audio tracks OR the subtitle tracks. This may be a limitation of the XMBC on the Apple TV.

Either way, the issue I am having is not how to change the audio or subtitles on XBMX. I wanted to know if it was possible to create an MKV file that had full working menus. Since this is not possible I will have to try a different solution. :)

Thanks again guys!
SidebandSamurai

Just to help you out a bit further. I beleive its the same code weather on apple TV or PC. I run on pc, so here is how I change audio tracks. Mind you MakeMkv usually pulls the correct audio track for me (english) when ripping DVDs.

Start a movie you are having a problem with on your apple tv using XBMC. now move the mouse and you will see a menu appear similar to this:

Your image and view may vary depending on what skin you have active. Now select the speaker icon (this one is the second from the left) and you will be presented with a menu like this:

This image shows where you can turn on and off subtitles. and change audio streams

I do believe that clicking on Audio Stream will select the different streams which also will change the language of the audio you are hearing.

Give it a try.

--Sideband Samurai