AccurateRip

Everything related to MakeMKV
butters

AccurateRip

Post by butters »

Hello,

one of the last days an idea came to my mind.

Since I'm a great supporter of AccurateRip lossless music I was wondering if something similar would be possible for my video discs.
What if we were able to rip our Blu-ray / DVD media and verify it against a database?
Wouldn't it be awesome if MakeMKV supplied a function for that like ExactAudioCopy or CUETools does for music?

Can CRC32, MD5 and / or SHA1 values be stored in .MKV files for contained tracks seperately?
If so, MakeMKV could calculate these values for every single track (video streams, audio streams, subtitles) while ripping, store them on a central "MakeMKV Database" Server and in the .MKV container as well.
Based on the hashes that users generate and submit from their rips, other users could verify their rips with a certain confidence level (just like AccurateRip).

This is just a general idea as of now and propably needs a lot of planning.

But what do you think?
Romansh

Re: AccurateRip

Post by Romansh »

For Blu-ray, MakeMKV can already check against the hash checks found on the disc, but only in "backup" mode.
ryanjk333

Re: AccurateRip

Post by ryanjk333 »

I would definitely like that feature! You never know when you're ripping a disc that has some scratches that might result in a less than perfect MKV file. Since hash checking is done in backup mode, I first rip my discs as a full backup, then convert that backup to an MKV to hopefully avoid ripping a disc with errors. I think there would be a lot of time and effort that would have to go into an "AccurateRip for MakeMKV" feature, so that may be your best option...
MakeMKV registered!
LG External 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Rewriter BE12LU30
Popcorn Hour C-200