Choppy MKV VC1 Playback

Everything related to MakeMKV
wyerd

Choppy MKV VC1 Playback

Post by wyerd »

When I playback all my VC1 encoded Blurays in MKV format, they appear choppy, stutter and blocky, but ones that are H264 play without these issues. If I look at the processor activity, the CPU is max'ed out for the VC1's, but around 20% for H264, so I guess that the GPU is doing the processing. This happens for any player app that I've tried - MPC-HC, VLC & TMT5. My graphics card is an AMD 5450. Why is this happening and how do I get it to play correctly as it does reading directly from the Bluray disc?

Thanks.
BlackDragon24

Re: Choppy MKV VC1 Playback

Post by BlackDragon24 »

wyerd wrote:When I playback all my VC1 encoded Blurays in MKV format, they appear choppy, stutter and blocky, but ones that are H264 play without these issues. If I look at the processor activity, the CPU is max'ed out for the VC1's, but around 20% for H264, so I guess that the GPU is doing the processing. This happens for any player app that I've tried - MPC-HC, VLC & TMT5. My graphics card is an AMD 5450. Why is this happening and how do I get it to play correctly as it does reading directly from the Bluray disc?

Thanks.
You might need a codec pack like k-lite, cccp, or shark007. Are the VC-1 files 1080i or 1080p?
Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

Built in Win7 decoder doesn't generally work with DXVA for VC1. I usually use the filter from MPCHC assigned via filter tweaker so it doesn't mess anything else up.

Surprised this hasn't been fixed yet...
wyerd

Post by wyerd »

Marc_G wrote:Built in Win7 decoder doesn't generally work with DXVA for VC1. I usually use the filter from MPCHC assigned via filter tweaker so it doesn't mess anything else up.

Surprised this hasn't been fixed yet...
Thanks - I'll take a look at it.