What about TWO preferred audio-languages?

Everything related to MakeMKV
michael-m.mueller

What about TWO preferred audio-languages?

Post by michael-m.mueller »

Hi,

first of all: I really love MakeMKV, it finally enables me to backup my complete DVD and BluRay collection without any quality loss to a format that can easily be played by an up-to-date TV or BD-player.

BUT: :idea: when I backup a disc, I usually want to have BOTH my own language PLUS the original language of the disc, which currently always forces me to click through all the folders and subfolders with audio and subtitles, to activate not only the preferred audio language from the settings of MakeMKV, but also "the other language".

So to me it would be PERFECT to have settings within MakeMKV for TWO preferred languages. What do you think? Great idea, isn't it? :)

Furthermore, if MakeMKV detects that none of my preferred languages is contained on the disc, it should at least activate e.g. the first found language on the disc (or better: ask and suggest a found language). I experience that problem sometimes when I backup an import DVD that ONLY contains the original audio language, but not my preferred (mother-)language. When I forgot that recently, I backed up a disc with just NO audio... :roll:

Thanks a lot in advance,
Michael
Chetwood

Re: What about TWO preferred audio-languages?

Post by Chetwood »

michael-m.mueller wrote:Great idea, isn't it? :)
Not necessarily cause you can already do that adding track weight as explained in the advanced forum.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
michael-m.mueller

Chetwood wrote:
michael-m.mueller wrote:Great idea, isn't it? :)
Not necessarily cause you can already do that adding track weight as explained in the advanced forum.
Wow... I never would have thought (not even me as professional SW developer) that a request or suggestion for an advanced user setting would be answered by the hint to manually change the code in any profiles on your own, instead of just enabling that procedure with a simple change of the GUI.

And really polite not just to add a link here to this thread, but letting me search for it instead...

So if the user has a problem or an idea, just let him solve it on his own... is it like that?

:cry:
michael-m.mueller

OK, I managed it meanwhile, but I must confess: if a user is NOT what I call a poweruser with xml-knowledge plus a bit of coding knowledge, I bet he/she will surely NOT be able to manage that!

And this what I'd call a no-go... as the functionality is obviously already there, why not make it easy for the user and also adjust the GUI to access all that "hidden" functionality?

I mean, these are really no "per-user settings", these would apply to a high percentage of users! But only a minimum of them will really be able to access that functionality, I bet!
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

MakeMKV > Preferences > General, check "Expert Mode", then in MakeMKV > Preferences > Advanced, change "Default selection rule". Syntax is the same as for conversion profiles, but you don't need to create an XML file. I believe tracks weights will also work.
michael-m.mueller

Romansh wrote:MakeMKV > Preferences > General, check "Expert Mode", then in MakeMKV > Preferences > Advanced, change "Default selection rule". Syntax is the same as for conversion profiles, but you don't need to create an XML file. I believe tracks weights will also work.
Hi Romansh,

oh, thanks a lot for that hint! I never saw that "Expert mode" setting before :oops:

But is it intended that not the rule from the xml-file is displayed then, but the following? "-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|nolang),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),-sel:mvcvideo,=100:all,-10:favlang"

In the xml-file I had set the rule to "-sel:all,+sel:(favlang|ger|eng),-sel:(havemulti|havecore),=100:all,-10:favlang"

The setting from the xml-file seems to be taken successfully, as long as I don't activate the expert mode... what would happen if I activate the expert mode? Would still the xml-file be taken, or the setting visible in the expert-GUI?

Thanks again,
Michael
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

michael-m.mueller wrote:And really polite not just to add a link here to this thread, but letting me search for it instead...
Yeah, probably as polite as whining about a feature that's been present for several versions or overlooking expert mode.
michael-m.mueller

Chetwood wrote:
michael-m.mueller wrote:And really polite not just to add a link here to this thread, but letting me search for it instead...
Yeah, probably as polite as whining about a feature that's been present for several versions or overlooking expert mode.
Man, who was "whining"??? But, ok, you are surely the greatest under god's sun - nobody will ever be as great as you are...

And yes, even after having managed to edit the xml-file to achieve the 2 selected audio tracks I wanted, I STILL would never have the idea to search for such a simple and common demand under "expert mode", but would still suggest to have this feature visible in the dummy-user GUI.

This is, in my eyes, not a per-user setting hidden under any expert-mode with cryptic command line settings.

I really believe that MANY dummy-users would like to automatically select both the original audio track plus their mother language.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

michael-m.mueller wrote:But, ok, you are surely the greatest under god's sun - nobody will ever be as great as you are...
Says the guy who is so proud of his quite unique idea in post 1. Dude, you're cracking me up ;)
michael-m.mueller

Chetwood wrote:
michael-m.mueller wrote:But, ok, you are surely the greatest under god's sun - nobody will ever be as great as you are...
Says the guy who is so proud of his quite unique idea in post 1. Dude, you're cracking me up ;)
Is there anything wrong to post an idea which is still not there in MakeMKV? I asked for a fuctionality in the GUI, not for a hidden per-user functionality?

Will you diss everyone who'd want a functionality in the regular-user GUI, instead of in the hidden per-user back-office where only the inner circle members (like you?) have access?

Is there any chance to see a posting from you which is NOT offensive? (Please, admin, make him stop that childish behaviour...)
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

michael-m.mueller wrote:Will you diss everyone who'd want a functionality in the regular-user GUI
I never diss anyone, however I DO mock people with this sense of entitlement:
You have failed to explain how by signing up to this board I somehow became obligated to spoon-feed solutions to people like you who can't just be bothered to search the forum for solutions before posting (let alone reading the revision history).
michael-m.mueller wrote:Please, admin, make him stop that childish behaviour...
Yeah, I'm glad to see you're not whining...
twa000

Post by twa000 »

come on guys, give it a rest :(
Yes, it can be immensely irritating when the subject has been covered before, but if I hadn't messed around with the original set up to achieve language selection, I would also have not looked in advanced options.

... and it only takes a 2 word response - Preferences - Advanced.
:lol: