3D MVC Option

Everything related to MakeMKV
MI3Guy

Re: 3D MVC Option

Post by MI3Guy »

mike admin wrote:
MI3Guy wrote:I just recently picked up Journey To The Center Of The Earth 3D and it shows the MVC option, but when I rip it, mediainfo shows nothing that would indicate that the file is 3D. Also, the file size is only about 20GB.
This should be fixed in 1.7.4
Great news. Thanks!
MI3Guy

Post by MI3Guy »

I tested it with 1.7.4 again, but it still seems to not be working. I don't know if it just isn't showing up in MediaInfo or it really isn't in the file.
shanndogg

Post by shanndogg »

It's probably mediainfo. I did one where mediainfo gave no indication that it was 3d MVC, but it played perfectly fine in full 3d.

I played it from my nas to a inexpensive media streamer which I will be returning as it wouldn't play every file perfectly like my boxee box (less hd audio drop outs). I am planning on building a HTPC which brings me back to my original question of what is required to play these 3D MVC mkv files. if you have the htpc hardware capable of playing full bluray 3d and a software player that plays mkv's fine, is that all you need? Or do you need a specific software player that can do 3d MVC in an mkv container? If so which one (s)?
robinsj

Post by robinsj »

I use XBMC on my HTPC, and then just use Powerdvd 12 as a external player. I haven't had any issues with this yet, and it plays these mkv's in 3d perfectly.
ksbarnz

Post by ksbarnz »

robinsj wrote:I use XBMC on my HTPC, and then just use Powerdvd 12 as a external player. I haven't had any issues with this yet, and it plays these mkv's in 3d perfectly.
Excellent, this is what I was hoping for before I spent the $$ on purchasing it. So you are strictly creating the MKV with the 3D stream from MakeMKV and then just playing in PowerDVD? No additional decoding of steps?
robinsj

Post by robinsj »

Exactly, no additional steps....
ksbarnz

Post by ksbarnz »

robinsj wrote:Exactly, no additional steps....
Excellent! thanks.
KonaBlend

Post by KonaBlend »

using MakeMKV v1.7.4 [darwin(x86-release)]
using mediainfo 0.7.56
using mkvtoolnix-5.5.0

- the produced mkv does not set StereoMode property
- mkvinfo does not report the track is Stereo
- mediainfo does not report the track is Stereo
- however, mediainfo on raw extracted video track reports:

Code: Select all

Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count                          : 2
- after setting mkv video track property stereo-mode=13, mediainfo reports:

Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
MultiView_Count                          : 2
MultiView_Layout                         : Both Eyes laced in one block (left eye first)
- and mkvinfo reports:

|  + Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
|  + CodecPrivate, length 190 (h.264 profile: High @L4.1)
|  + Default duration: 41.708ms (23.976 frames/fields per second for a video track)
|  + Video track
|   + Pixel width: 1920
|   + Pixel height: 1080
|   + Display width: 1920
|   + Display height: 1080
|   + Stereo mode: 13 (both eyes laced in one block (left first))
Seems to me that MakeMKV needs to set StereoMode to 13 for MVC tracks.
Scorf

Post by Scorf »

I've tried ripping a couple of 3D discs - I selected the 3D extensions in the video box of the title, and when I playback the resultant mkv on the latest version of VLC on the Mac I just get 2D.

I've tried demuxing and then using Mkvtoolnix (latest version) to change the stereoscopy setting to 13 as suggested above but to no avail - the remuxed mkv is still resolutely 2D.

I've got some SBS torrents which I play on my Sony 3D set via my Oppo 93 so was really looking forward to being able to make my own 3D titles from 3D BDs - but it just doesnt seem to work for me.

I cant see realistically what I am doing incorrectly, but maybe I am missing something fundamental. Any thoughts, comments and suggestions would be welcome. The BD was Arabia 3D - purely as a test.
KonaBlend

Post by KonaBlend »

Scorf wrote:I've tried demuxing and then using Mkvtoolnix (latest version) to change the stereoscopy setting to 13 as suggested above but to no avail - the remuxed mkv is still resolutely 2D.
First step is to set the mkv container properties to indicate 3D.

However, there are many different ways to push 3D content to a display, but for my desires (aside from the archival value of storing MVC in mkv) I'd like for there to be an option to render a MVC 3D movie out to a Samsung in a similar fashion as 3D blu-ray players do.

This method would require that VLC send video out an HDMI at 1920x2205 resolution to be FHD3D compatible with the usual breed of Samsung and other 3D consumer TV. There's probably some special HDMI bits that need to be set too. So if VLC could decode MVC, split then render to one frame of [1920x1080 TOP, plus 1920x45 BLANKING, plus 1920x1080 BOTTOM], and push out HDMI @ 24fps, we'd have 3D. Sending out in this format allows the FHD3D sets to detect the 3D, and then activate and sync their 3D glasses or whatever other technology they may be using.

One can hope.
Scorf

Post by Scorf »

How do you set the mkv container to indicate 3D? I would have thought that if you select the 3D bit under the video in the title then the program should automatically do this?

as it stands the current version doesn't seem to extract 3D at all. I'm using a Mac
robinsj

Post by robinsj »

I am not really sure what you guys are doing, but I have ripped about 30 Full 3d Blu rays so far, and everything plays back in perfect 3d. I have tested it on my JVC 3D projector, and my Panasonic 3D TV... All work great. I know it is working at Full Frame 3D, as if I was playing the blu ray straight back, because the projector will auto kick into Full 3D for blurays, but it will not for SBS, or any other 3d format...
totoloco

Post by totoloco »

robinsj wrote:I am not really sure what you guys are doing, but I have ripped about 30 Full 3d Blu rays so far, and everything plays back in perfect 3d. I have tested it on my JVC 3D projector, and my Panasonic 3D TV... All work great. I know it is working at Full Frame 3D, as if I was playing the blu ray straight back, because the projector will auto kick into Full 3D for blurays, but it will not for SBS, or any other 3d format...
Hi,

Do you read the 3D mkv on you pc (What program do you use) or blu-ray player or multimedia player ?
shanndogg

Post by shanndogg »

I think Robinj is using Power DVD. I an in the process of building a htpc so I can't test the files myself which is why I am trying to confirm what players can play the 3d files. Can anyone confirm if they are playable on Total Media Theater 5?
Lhacass

Post by Lhacass »

mike admin wrote:
johnbobjamesson wrote:Same problem here, definitely a 3d movie with ssif (actually watched it in 3d), but no option in makemkv.
J
It's a bug. Please send all CLPI and MPLS files from affected disc per instructions at http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8/catid/6
I'm having the same problem with avatar 3d using makemkv 1.7.6 .. has someone sent you those files? I could do that if no one did...

This is what makemkv shows when i open the avatar bluray (selections are default)... if i select only one of the two titles (together they are about 90GB) including the mpeg4-mvc-3d inside the title, the resulting mkv shows multiview_count 2 but powerdvd switches on a fake 2d to 3d effect that is just ugly... if i run the mkv through mkvmerge and select stereoscopy 13 then powerdvd starts the movie in 3d mode (3d vision glasses turn on) but only shows 2d...

Anyway the 3d bluray itself works beautifully in powerdvd...