[Windows] MakeMKV crashing when hard drive busy

Everything related to MakeMKV
crowfax

[Windows] MakeMKV crashing when hard drive busy

Post by crowfax »

I noticed the other day when I booted into Windows 7 and loaded MakeMKV that it crashed right after loading, the fatal error and program exiting crash. I opened it again and it worked fine. Today, I was remuxing a file with MKVmergeGUI and opened MakeMKV, the same thing happened again. I tried opening it again, and it crashed a second time; then a third and fourth. The moment I stopped MKVmergeGUI from running, it opened fine. Following a hunch, I then started a file copy on my C:\ and tried opening MakeMKV again, once more it crashed.

It seems that MakeMKV crashes whenever the drive it's loading from is under heavy load, I've not noticed this behavior in the Linux version, so it seems to be Windows (and perhaps Windows 7 64-bit) specific.

Has anyone else noticed similar behavior? Is anyone able to try and replicate the issue? Just start copying a huge file from your C:\ to another location on your C:\, then load MakeMKV and see if it opens, or crashes.

Thanks!
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
mike admin

Re: [Windows] MakeMKV crashing when hard drive busy

Post by mike admin »

Please do this - http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/dump.html . It's a lengthy step but without it it's impossible to figure out what's going on.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

crowfax wrote:I noticed the other day when I booted into Windows 7 and loaded MakeMKV that it crashed right after loading, the fatal error and program exiting crash. I opened it again and it worked fine. Today, I was remuxing a file with MKVmergeGUI and opened MakeMKV, the same thing happened again. I tried opening it again, and it crashed a second time; then a third and fourth. The moment I stopped MKVmergeGUI from running, it opened fine. Following a hunch, I then started a file copy on my C:\ and tried opening MakeMKV again, once more it crashed.

It seems that MakeMKV crashes whenever the drive it's loading from is under heavy load, I've not noticed this behavior in the Linux version, so it seems to be Windows (and perhaps Windows 7 64-bit) specific.

Has anyone else noticed similar behavior? Is anyone able to try and replicate the issue? Just start copying a huge file from your C:\ to another location on your C:\, then load MakeMKV and see if it opens, or crashes.

Thanks!
Just tried this running win 7 64. Copied large files from C to C, also in parallel ran my satellite TV program (large memory user) and Makemkv - no problems.

Sounds more like a driver conflict problem or bad disk (have you tried cleaning up and checking your C drive for problems?)
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

twa000 wrote:Just tried this running win 7 64. Copied large files from C to C, also in parallel ran my satellite TV program (large memory user) and Makemkv - no problems.

Sounds more like a driver conflict problem or bad disk (have you tried cleaning up and checking your C drive for problems?)
Just to be clear, you started all the other processes, then opened MakeMKV? Also, can you try booting from cold, then directly after login while your HDD is still grinding, try loading MakeMKV.
mike admin wrote:Please do this - http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/dump.html . It's a lengthy step but without it it's impossible to figure out what's going on.
Will do now.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

I've PM'd the dump file to you Mike.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

crowfax wrote:
Just to be clear, you started all the other processes, then opened MakeMKV? Also, can you try booting from cold, then directly after login while your HDD is still grinding, try loading MakeMKV.

.[/quote]
Yes - will try the other request if I ever get my Outlook system back, made the stupid mistake of trying to sync to Apple's iCloud
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Thanks, I appreciate it.